FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 12:21:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fitting triples  (Read 5288 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2004, 05:37:48 AM »

This may seem a funny question on an FE-FC forum, but does anyone know if triple sidedraft strombergs will fit in an EH engine bay with no mods?

I bought a set of triple SUs to fit, yet the fire wall is going to have to modified and the batterey relocated as well as a different manifold needed (that curves right up near the firewall)

I may be able to swap the SUs for some strommies with a mate.  Can anyone help?

THe SUs are 1 3/4 inch while the strommies are 1 1/4 so the strommies may be better suited to the 179 anyway... if not the SUs might be up for sale if anyone wants them

Rekitted, new fuel lines, new splitter, nice filters on a nice manifold - ready to bolt on - ideally suit a 202.

Thanks
Dave
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 05:51:07 AM »

Hi.
I don't have a triple Strommie set up, but I do have a bloody rare single Dellorto (Or sidedraught Weber) manifold for a red. An odd looking contraption, but very, very effective.
If you have no luck with the triples, give me a PM or Email & we can go from there.
Regards,
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 06:09:09 AM »

thanks rob - could be an option, and sounds hassle free.

I have a mate with triple strommies who is willing to swap - im just wondering if the strommies will fit.

Regards
Dave
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 06:43:00 AM »

the strommies have a completly different manifold as they are downdraughts and su's are side draft.if your mate has a full set on manifold then yes they will fit easily as they only sit a few inches above the head where as the su's fit out sideways and fowl on items such as battery but you could always relocate battery to the boot ending your problem at that end of engine bay.
cheers Nicko

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 08:18:08 AM »

Hey Nicko,

I believe these are CD125 triples, which (i believe) are those sidedraught carbies that were used on the 161ci LC/LJ Torana GTR.

I'm wondering if they will bit easier than the SUs

Thanks for the help - sorry if i'm wrong.

Dave
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 09:21:45 AM »

Hi Guys.

LC Torana GTRs with the 161 or 173 engines used the Bendix-Stromberg WW dual throat downdraught carby. The LJ Torana GTR used a single barrel downdraught Bendix-Stromberg carby.

Only Torana XU-1s used the triple carb set-up. These were 'Zenith-Stromberg' sidedraught carbs & were CD150 (1.5") on the LC 186 XU-1 & (1.75") on the LJ 202 XU-1. To my knowledge the only inlet manifolds available for the sidedraugt Strombergs are the factory GM-H items & using these on an early Holden requires panelbeating the firewall.

Triple downdraught Bendix-Strombergs will clear the firewall in most models.

With SU type carbies there was 1 brand of manifold that mounted the carbies slightly foward & would clear the firewall, I think it was an 'Armour' brand, I ran1 of these on an EH panel van & it left the firewall stock.

Hope this helps.

Dr Terry.
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 11:24:58 AM »

Thanks Dr Terry,

I wonder what these 1.25 inch strombergs are off? Or what manifold they are on? I'll be sure to check it out.

I'll look into manifolds - i don't like my chances of finding one though.

The next question - is panel beating the fire wall legal?

Alternatively i could run a set of twins i have, but they need a full overhaul. - engine is a reco 179, 30/70cam (advanced 2 degrees...i think) with a YT stage 3 head, and twin point dizzy - does anyone know what the performance difference would be?

Thanks
Dave
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 11:41:26 AM »

If you want hassel free and good performance you really can't beat the Delorto/Webber's.  Not sure what size you would use for a single though.

I spent a fortune on a new Holley and manifold on my last red motor and I kicked myself everyday that I never went webber instead.

Mike
RUBBLE

FC WAGONS ARE COOOOOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 04:49:14 AM »

Hey dave,
do you need the tripple su's ,i'm interested if you want to sell
cheers rubble Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)