FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 08:26:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: blue/grey  (Read 2132 times)
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2004, 08:08:05 AM »

hi guys  to fit a grey gearbox to a blue motor, do i need to change the flywheel(for the sake of the starter motor)  if so,  do they swap over without drama?  dya think the box is strong enough for the extra grunt ...
  cheers  trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 08:31:53 AM »

Hi robbzfc58.

The actual ring gear of the blue 6 has the same teeth & diameter as a red 6 & a grey. I think the problem would be the larger diameter clutch fouling the bellhousing.

You could use the earlier clutch, it should bolt up.

Gearbox longevity depends on driving style.

Brock & Bond made an Opel 4-sp survive 500 miles at Bathurst in 1970 under racing conditions behind a Harry Firth XU-1 motor.

Regards.

Dr Terry.

robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 11:38:29 AM »

thanks doc     confession time!!  i took rough measurements of the flywheel  & clutch & decided there was bugger all in it.   i fitted the box to the motor (as i did with a red motor & grey box years ago with no dramas) but when i went to fire it up , the starter motor squealed like an early 70s valliant & no cranking.   so i pulled the startor motor off   ,tested it , checked that the flywheel & cluch werent fouling on the bellhousing , bunged it back on & got the same bloody result.   this s/ motor was on the same gearbox a week ago & it started a grey motor with no probs.
why is it so Huh   suggetions please!
  thanks trev

robbzfc58
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 08:48:41 AM »

got it sorted...the prob was the grey starter motor.  i did some more measuring & stuffing around & found that a starter from a blue bolts onto a grey bell housing leaving 1 bolt hole unused...guess you guys new that anyway.      gave it a run..well worth the stuffing around.
the car was fitted with an ej/eh box with a speco shifter ....it was a pig of a thing ..ive put up with it for 10yrs..very pleased to be rid of it
anyone want to buy speco shifter..H pattern Grin
  cheers trev

robbzfc58
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: