FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 05:27:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: SEAT BELTS  (Read 5986 times)
RUBBLE

FC WAGONS ARE COOOOOOL

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2004, 08:01:15 AM »

Hey guys Wink
just wondering where would be the best spot to bolt the rear seat belts to in my fcwagon eg wheel arch or side panel under windows?
cheers rubble Cool
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 09:31:47 AM »

A little hard to explain, but, you need the top bolt to be above shoulder height, otherwise the seatbelt will probably cause more damage than anything.

If the seatbelt is bolted below shoulder height (to the wheel well) and it slips between the seats in a sudden stop, the passengers weight moving forward will cause a back compression injury. Hope that makes sense.

FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:35:33 PM »

Engineers will accept a mounting in the lower window panel so long as you include a reasonable sized plate formed to the same profile as the panel (to stop it from tearing out). That anchor point is only slightly below the top of the seat & not likely to cause any compression injuries.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 09:10:50 PM »

Alternatively, you can mount a reel or anchor on the wheel arch and put a sash guide in the C pillar.

I was going to cut the seat down instead of using a sash guide and place a warning sticker that only ppl under 4 ft in height be seated in these positions... but the engineer didnt like that.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
tmudie

Back on the road again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 01:50:59 AM »

Ed,

I have some digital pics of inertia real seat belts fitted to a wagon by ............um I forget the guys names just now.....a guy from the club. It was a real neat job. Whats your email address and I'll send them to you. Better still, email me tjmudie@optusnet.com.au and I'll reply with the pics

Tony

I hope I wear as well as my FC Holden
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 03:49:29 AM »

Hey tony,

I think Rubble was after this one, but cheers anyway.
mine are finito.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 02:56:31 AM »

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but saves starting a whole new one....

I have been lucky enough to have some seatbelts given to me.....BRAND NEW 2001 made lap sash belts, but not the retractable ones.

They are the normal old style adjustable / fixed seat belts but are made in England to UK standards as of 2001.....Brand name SECURON.

Does anyone know if these would be accepted in Australia for when my car goes for rego ?

And the other question is, where is the best place to mount the rear achor points for a SEDAN.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Mark
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 04:34:26 AM »

I think this has been discussed previously (cant find thread), but the outcome was belts must have the Australian Standards (AS....) label affixed to be accepted.

I cant help with sedan mounting points, but sure somebody here can.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 04:38:43 AM »

Thanks ED.....actually thinking about it now.......licensing is not a problem, as I'll just get the cart licensed without seatbelts as it's a 1958 model.......then just bolt the belts in afterwards for safety.

Saves any potential headaches at licensing time.....but still curious to know where to weld in the mounting plates....

Cheers

mark
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 05:33:15 AM »

You'd know the WA rules better than me, but I think your insurance company might have something to say about seat-belts that don't conform to Australian Standards if the unthinkable were to happen.

Logically, yes I know, anything should be better than nothing.  But we both know that any excuse to not pay a claim is worth a try with those guys...

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 05:39:35 AM »

Too true...... !

However, seatbelts should have no bearing on a potential car insurance claim, as it's my body at risk, not the car.

My life insurance policy may investigate closer as to why the belts were to UK standards and not Australian.

I guess it's that can of worms thing again...as even an Australian approved set of belts could still be discounted in an insurance claim, if the belt anchoring points are attached to the B pillars, which were never designed to withstand the amount of force put on them in a car crash...(ie)...doesn;t matter how good the belts are, if the way they are bolted to the car is not approved.

Cheers

mark

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: