FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:20:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WA in the fold  (Read 3541 times)
Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2004, 11:33:27 PM »

Working on the Life Saving Club's constitution and it got me thinking

I'm assuming all FE FC clubs have there own club constitution and by-laws, but is the an Aust entity that umbrellas over the top of us all with it’s own constitution and by-laws (in lifesaving it's the Royal Life or Surf Lifesaving parent body).  If so do we need to do anything or make any changes to welcome WA into the fold of FE FC clubs?

Side question – do all clubs share the same constitution with minor differences or were then all just written from scratch?

Al
Flamed FE
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 02:08:05 AM by Flamed_FE » Logged

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 09:42:12 AM »

I believe most are written from scratch. Our club used parts of the CMC constitution in ours to ensure we complied with their rules and regs to ensure we were eligable. Like many things, RET is the one to ask re this matter, he keeps ours up to date. (and does a mighty fine job of it too). Wink
If WA needs an example to help them out, just ask Richard for a copy of NSW.
Regards
Alex

gp
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 07:43:34 PM »

Yeah our Club started from scratch back in 1987, with many amendments over the years to suit changing club circumstances. :-/

We tried some stuff that didn't work, so changed to stuff that did work.

Cheers,

Graham Smiley
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 11:28:29 PM »

When Gary (FE_UTE) and Lorene came to Sydney last year and I met up with them, the WA Club was in its - shall we say - nascent stages.  There seemed to be enough interest to start one, but it wasn't quite started.  One of the things I gave them was a copy of our club's constitution.  WA seem to be a bit more bureaucratic about these things, and required all the ducks to be in a row before the WA Club could be incorporated.  This included a constitution that met the local requirements, so I believe they used bits of it and expanded on it to suit.  This seems to be a by-product of incorporation being a state-based responsibility - every state has a slight variation on what is otherwise a common theme.

The FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Aust. has a constitution which is all about the Nationals.  It is an umbrella organisation with that sole purpose.  We did look into the possibility of using it to share public liability costs amongst the member clubs and other things, but it didn't work out (not unsurprisingly, because of the different rules in different states about such things).

The WA Club have been (I believe) formally invited to participate in the Nationals, just as the Southern Sydney Early Holden Club, the Holdens of Age etc are invited to participate in the event.  As detailed in the FE-FC HCC Aust constitution, after participation in the Nats as an "invited club", such clubs can subsequently be admitted into full membership of the umbrella organisation, giving them the right to host an event in the future and so on.

Hope all that makes sense and apologies for boring the pants off anyone Grin

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 11:56:08 PM »

Each state is responsible for administering its own Associations Incorporation Act, so there may be slight variations from state to state.  However, it is quite probable that the respective Attorneys general may have got their heads together to get uniform legislation in all jurisdictions - is that expecting too much of the pollies?

In SA the incorporation of associations is administered by the Department of Business & Consumer Affairs who can provide a model constitution.  Check with your own Government agency.

Is the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia an incorporated Association?  If not, it ought to be, with the consitution showing the membership as being the respective state clubs and other bodies who are affiliated and allowing for the affiliation of other clubs in the future.  Each state club should have an affiliation clause in its constitution allowing it to be affiliated with the national body (and other organisations with a similar purpose).  Each state would be represented in the management of the national body.

The national body could examine each state's constitution and develop a "model" for the guidance of the state clubs.

As a newish member, I don't know whether this is the situation or not, but there may be something of use here.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 12:40:31 AM »

Martin,

You raise some interesting points.  Hopefully Kathy is reading this (the current FE-FC HCC A chair-person), and it may be something to be revisited at the next delegates' meeting.  There's a few too many things on the plate right now Roll Eyes

As I mentioned before, the FE-FC HCC A exists solely for the Nationals, and is not really an 'umbrella organisation' in the sense that the AAA or CMC etc are.  It doesn't have an executive committee nor do anything other than administer and evolve the rules and constitution of the Nationals.  In other words, resolving issues relating to Judging, Classing, Hosting and other aspects of the event.

FWIW in NSW Association Incorporation is managed (for reasons I have never been quite able to fathom) by the Dept of Fair Trading.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 12:57:12 AM »

We skirted around this topic last night at the meeting.

Vic needs to change there cont as it currently states that is the club disolves, any net asset are to be split between financial members.  This technically makes the club a profit organisation rather than a non profit org (and thus not exempt from numerous company legislation and tax returns etc)

We will be changing this in the upcoming AGM.

however
1) how many other clubs have the same clause?
2) should we not all have a clause if the club disolves all net assets to go to FE-FC HCC A
3) we then need to change the cont of FE-FC HCC A to reflect how to distribute any net assets from a folded club to it other clubs in FE-FC HCC A

This is a situation when it comes important to have in writing that WA is an offical member of FE-FC HCC A

sorry to everyone who is now asleep at the computer due to this exciting topic I've started

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 02:44:07 AM »

We have something like this already in our R&C:

18. Dissolution.
The organisation shall be dissolved in the event of the membership being less than six persons.  It may be dissolved upon the vote of a two-thirds majority of the members present at a general meeting convened to consider the question: "Any assets on hand, shall, after payment of all expenses and liabilities be paid to a charitable or non-profit organisation as determined by a majority vote of the members present at the meeting dissolving the organisation."

Should we go belly up this gives us the flexibility at the time it happens to decide where our remaining assets go.  It's none of my business, but I'd be wary of setting in stone who the recipient might be.  What if the FE-FC HCC A folds first, or simultaneously, for that matter?  What if your club has a huge falling out with the FE-FC HCC A?

Just my 2c...

cheers
RET

Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 02:58:26 AM »

Flamed_FE,

As you've identified, the various legislations are quite admant that the assets of associations will not be distributed to members.  Benefits can be passed to members (e.g. the club might decide to pay entry fees for members to enter the nationals) but no cash or assets (unless it's wages) can be distributed to members.

As you've correctly identified, this is also a fundamental principle of the not-for-profit status that gives the club tax exemption.

Some suggestions for the winding-up clause could be that:

the assets of the club pass to the national body to be held in trust for 5 years (or some other term), and if the club not be resurrected, then used by the national association or distributed among the other affiliated clubs;    or

The assets be distributed to another club (or clubs) within the state that have similar aims and activities.

My suggestion is that you seek the advice of the Government Department that administers associations in Vic.

In redrafting your constitution, keep in mind that it should contain only high-level stuff.  Administrative rules and regulations (that are likely to change from time to time) ought to be carried in Rules and Regulations that can be changed at an ordinary meeting of the club, without having to go through the rigours of a formal constitutuion amendment.  Therefore, the constitution should carry a clause that describes how Rules or Regulations can be set (e.g., by the committee, or by an ordinary meeting of the club, etc.)

Remember, also, that (in SA anyway) the new constitution has to be lodged with the relevant registrar of associations.

Hope that helps

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 10:52:05 AM »

Hi team,

as secretary of the WA club, can I just advise that we did indeed make heavy use of the NSW club constitution and various other pro-formas and documents in setting up our club so as to not re-invent the wheel.

also, we HAVE had correspondence from the ACT club formally inviting our club members to attend....for which we thank them very much!!  So much, in fact, that a few of us are driving or flying over to attend.

.......see you in the snowies!!!......

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: