FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 11:27:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR front end $  (Read 2418 times)
sgo

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2004, 05:09:52 AM »

Would anyone care to comment on what a HR disc brake front end, complete but in need of a full re-build is worth?

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 05:36:40 AM »

That depends on how desperate you are for one and how many are around.

Mine cost $2500 but came with car attached.....I'm not being smart, that's basically what I've found......It's very hard to find a HR Disc Bake Front End that someone is prepared to part with on it's own...most want to sell you the car aswell.

I think you can convert a HR Drum front end ?   If this is true, it may be worth your while sourcing an old HR ( any model ) for just a couple of hundred bucks...that way you get the front end ( drum or disc with any luck ) and you'll no doubt use the rest of the car for the odd bits and pieces, like maybe the rear diff  ect ect.

Have you got one lined up or are you just getting info ??

To give you a real example....I tried to source the disc brake calipers that go on the HR front end, and ended up paying $100 just for the grotty old callipers....then they had to be stripped and rekitted.

I protect my rebuilt HR Disc Front end with my life....the only other thing harder to find in good nick, is a decent Subframe !

Good luck, I hope you find a good one !

Cheers

Mark

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 06:26:48 AM »

i have just removed one from a HD that girl is doing up as she had a drum front end and brought a disc front from guy who failed to tell her it was from an FB and had the EH tongue welded on with engine mounts set up for FB,so she could not mount the sway bar or the front tongue as it would need all the HD-HR parts welded back on,i know she paid $450 for it without disc's and calipers,so we are redoing it with drum front end .if you are in QLD or know transport company who would pick it up you can have it for $300,but you will need HR or Torana disc and calipers for it plus put the engine mounts for red into FC  position

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 09:50:01 AM »

The HR front-end in my FE was originally drum brakes, it ain't no more though. You just need to get disc brake spindles from somewhere, Torana etc.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 09:55:08 AM »

Disc brake f/e is worth about $400 to $500 if you can get one.  drum f/e can be built into a disc f/e but Torana stub axles have the wrong camber angle.

HK to HX stub axles have the right camber angle.

Ken
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 10:39:46 AM »

Thanks Ken, you learn something every day!
I'm curious about my CRS stubs now  Huh

mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 12:44:22 AM »

A guy in queensland makes a fully rebuilt HR front with toranna disks and rack and pinion steering with a few mods to allow a better turning circle for between 1500 and 2000.  Spoke to him at a swap meet he makes them to suit all types of old holdens.  Cant find his details but when i find them ill post em.

MICK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: