FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:38:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE 2 tone paint scheme.  (Read 7567 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: March 24, 2004, 11:42:53 PM »

Hello,

Has anybody got a pic of a 2 tone FE showing areas where colour changes occur.

I had some, but lost them in a puter crash.

I need to know where the top colour starts etc.  

ie roof and interior of my wagon was castle grey, I'm trying to determine which part of the jamb is which colour?

for a 1957 scheme if it makes a difference.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 12:23:34 AM »

Ed,

Here's the exterior from the FE Wagon brochure.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 12:24:48 AM »

And interior shot from the same brochure....

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 12:38:16 AM »

oh nice RET.

mine will be a mirror of the 1st pic.

the  jambs of the doors I believe are the top colour, and I think goes to the outer door seal. Can anybody verify this?

The 2 toning involves alot of masking!!

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 12:49:13 AM »

Also, this thread here discusses aspects of FE paint around the door jambs.

Don't say I never give you nothin' Kiss

cheers
RET

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 09:05:00 AM »

Ed, RET's attached thread shows what I believe to be the early paint style (1956 and 1957). I have photos of a number of 1958 FE's with the entire inner door jamb painted in the roof colour except for the small pressing above the trim panel which was body colour.  Coincidentally this is the same way the inner door panel of the single tone specials were painted.
This would appear to be a cost saver as it meant that there was less masking needed on the inner door.
Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 10:22:23 AM »

It's also worth noting (as has been mentioned here before) that '58 FEs also have the gun-metal dash top (like the FC) as opposed to the coloured one.  Of course this doesn't apply to Ed specifically.

cheers
RET

Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 11:46:13 AM »

Guys,
Holden had something called 'Colour Cut-off Instructions' for painting of various models, and these details changed from time to time. (thats why early FE's have colour matched Instrument Panel Upper, and later ones all are Charcoal Grey)
If you want to get it right you need to find a copy of these instructions that were issued by GMH Engineering.  My guess is that some of this information could be detailed in the Official FE Repair Manual (for body shops).  I saw a copy advertised on ebay last year but did not get it
I would like to get a copy of the GMH instructions and FE Repair Manual to help me too.

Cheers
Geoff_K
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 10:17:45 PM »

very interesting....

altho I have a charcoal dash too, the body door jamb was painted top colour.  this isnt of any real significance tho in my case  I like colour dash tops.

Im still not sure of the delineation on the B pillar tho. I will need to sticky beak into a few cars with camera in hand next meeting.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 01:08:05 AM »

Ed,

FWIW, my FE is a 1957 Melbourne Single Tone (Duo Tone?) Special Sedan.

The B Pillars are body colour to the edge of the windlacing 'lip', then the contrasting colour on the entire inner face (ie, the interior side) from the headlining to the floor.

The door openings are entirely painted in the body colour.  The dashboard top is painted in the contrasting interior colour, as are the A Pillar covers.  The dashboard lower including instrument panel & glove box lid is body colour.

The doors are body colour outside and the entire lower half of the inside.  The window frame (inner) and door 'cap' (inner) are painted in the contrasting colour, the window frame being the other colour right up to the edge of the frame.

Refer to : http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=howto;action=display;num=1067913836

The picture that I have attached shows the front door pattern.  The back door follows a similar pattern, being the contrasting colour on the inside, from the bottom edge of the cap upwards.

On both doors, the contrasting colour describes a straight, horizontal edge across the door frame at front & rear of each door, similar to that shown in the picture.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 01:27:18 AM »

Spinner,

thats a pretty comprehensive description.

Thanks for the effort, it'shelped me alot

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 10:17:42 PM »

regarding comments about dash colour...august 1956
modern motor says  'the top edge of the dash has a rounded metal ledge over it, painted a dull dark colour to cut down sun glare" theres a photo of it. Huh
             cheers trev
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 10:23:46 PM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 08:45:19 PM »

Hi Trev,
Without seeing the photo, which I take to be in black & white, at the time most single tone specials had internal 2 tone highlights to the dash and doors, (standards and business models were single colour throughout).
My Elk Blue 225 has Teal Blue upper dash and doors, however my Desert Tan 217 is same colour through out.
Depending on the car colour in the photo, the darker upper dash is probally a darker highlight colour, however.......
Cars supplied to the press sometimes were 'specials' and were prepared to assist in preparing new ideas (or to refute bad press).  Glare off the top of the dash was a problem with some colours, and by mid 1957 the decision had been made to paint all dash tops a darker colour to reduce glare, so who knows what colour this photo shows?

Cheers.

Geoff_K
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 07:37:51 AM »

thanks for the reply geoff          yep  pic is black & white
the car was 2tone green (darker top)  the story went to print before the fe was released     pics & info were "smuggled " out of the plant so i guess the reporter could easily have got some facts wrong

cheers trev

« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 07:59:46 AM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 07:55:51 AM »

Smiley

robbzfc58
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2004, 07:57:55 AM »

Smiley  quality is crappy but ya get the idea
               trev
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 08:01:39 AM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2004, 08:53:17 AM »

The pictured car is a single tone green car which would have had a dark green dash top.  This is probably what the picture is of.

Ken
mike

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2004, 09:59:14 AM »

Should have looked like this (1956) FE single tone special,

regards mike.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 09:33:18 PM »

not so good if ur top colour is light tho.  perhaps another reason y charcoal was used?

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: