FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 04:12:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: SEAT BELT ANCHORAGE POINTS ???  (Read 7305 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2004, 03:23:54 AM »

Can anyone please help me re: Seatbelts, and anchorage points Front and Rear.

1.  Can you still get the old metal buckle type seatbelts ( not the new plastic stuff ) ?

2.  Can they still be retractable ?

3.  Where do you anchor them to ?

Cheers

mark
craiga
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 09:36:16 AM »

Mark,

There is a guy (I think his name is Michael Bartok) who sells NOS metal buckle seat belts. They are out of CM Valiants and from his description have a metal release button with a plastic surround. I don't have his contact details but he does advertise at the rear of both Unique Cars and Australian Classic Car.

IMHO they were WAY too expensive (about $90.00 up per belt) but they may be what you are after.

Cheers,

Craig.

ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 10:43:06 AM »

Hi Mark,
Fitting seat belts opens a whole can of worms regarding legalities. You need to find out your local RTA rules. Here in the ACT they need to be fitted by an authorised installer or by a competent mechanic. I have just fitted a set to my FC and a mechanic friend I have, got the required info from Tech standards here. He was able to help me. The seat belts I got from "Stamps Seatbelts" in Hoppers Crossing, they came as a complete kit to install, mounting plates bolts and instructions.
They no longer supply metal belts as they rip your stomach in an accident.
If you go down the track of retractable belts they will have to have an engineer ticket.

As regards anchorage points I checked EffieC's car and took measurements. Because the new mount plates are bigger only a slight change was required from the original instal points.
I have some photos if you require more help

The local tech standard guys have said they would prefer belts to no belts

Cheers ChrisB  Cool
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 10:46:18 AM by ChrisB » Logged
fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 02:59:26 PM »

Hey Mark.
If you haven't already tried them, there is a place in Kewdale called Seatbelt Solutions. They had a stand at a hot rod show and I asked them the same question, whether you could get new metal buckled seatbelts. He said that he did sell them and from memory the prices weren't too bad.  Their card says that they're WA's only licensed seatbelt repairer so I'd say that the metal clipped seatbelts would be legal over here? Give them a call and let us know how you get on.
Graham Martin mob-0438 533 932 or 08 9353 3522

Miikael
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 05:06:09 PM »

Hey Mark,
If the car is still registered i would fit the metal buckels, just for the look's, but think of the damage it can cause you should you have an accident.
You can fit lap/sash or retractable belts.
If car is to go over the Pit's, only new belts are acceptable. (new belts out of a wreck will not comply).
There are certain measurements to comply with, eg:- height of mounting point on "B" Pillar so belt does'nt rub on your neck or worst still,break your neck when braking hard.
The Technical Section at the Licensing Division have the info on the mounting points and the way they have to be mounted and the grade of bolts to be used etc, etc.
The man to speak to is Dennis Forte, 2 Murray Road South, Welshpool 6106. Phone (08) 9351 1680. Fax (08) 9351 1689.
You can buy the seat belt kits from Coventry's or Repco as a universal kit or as a replacement for a existing model.
Take note of the stalk buckle that is mounted to the centre floor for the front seats as they have to be long enough when the seats are in their most forward position and if you are fitting a bench seat your better off mounting a buckle on a belt web rather than on a cable stalk.
Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 12:19:08 AM »

Thanks guys...

Miikael - Thanks for the numbers...He's not in yet, but I'll keep trying to get hold of him.

Seb - Thanks for Dennis' number...he sounds like he knows what he's on about, especially since he's doing up his own HR Holden...so it's good to talk to someone who has a real passion and not just doing it as a job.  He advised I must use a 7/16 UNC nut welded to a 70x30x3 (Min) plate under the floor or in B pillar.

I also asked about othe mods...what can be done and what can't be done.....he said, in WA you can pretty much do anything ( in reason ), for example, fitting my 202 / Trimatic with Triple Carbs, fitting HR Discs, Seatbelts ect aren't a problem, as long as it's done right....in other words...no nonsense with going from a 132 to a 202 regards capacity increasing ratios ect.

ChrisB -  Thanks for your words or advice....but I'm glad I'm in WA and not the ACT.......Seems we can pretty much do our own work like fitting seatbelts, as long  as it's done well, rather than getting an authorised fitter to do the work......guess that's due to the thousands of klms most of us would have to travel to find an authorised fitter in Perth.

Thanks all.........all I need to work out know, is if I'm going to put the bolt through the innner & outer B pillar, or somwhow weld the plate just to the inner ( neater ).
Mark
fcguy

v8 fc sedan :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 10:24:57 AM »

hey guys does anyone know the rules about fitting seatbelts in qld im putting a v8 in mine and there hasnt ever been belts in my car so where do i start?
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 01:29:06 AM »

I don't mean to be flippant, but I strongly suggest you start with an automotive engineer.

The QDOT may have documentation you can download about what is required for such a conversion.  It has also been done by a couple of guys in the Queensland FE-FC club, so a talk to them might be a good idea too.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 02:11:20 AM »

fcguy
       I spoke in length on the phone with a bloke called Victerry in burleigh about seat belts, and the do's and dont's and the must have's. His number is 07 5576 3334

Regards
Sarge.

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
fcguy

v8 fc sedan :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 10:11:36 PM »

hey thanks for the info sarge gunna ring him today let yas know how it goes
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 12:42:07 AM »

fcguy
       Not a problem thats what we are all here for to help each other out. If you need to call me you can get me on 0421 165 351

Regards
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: