FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:03:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring a trailer plug  (Read 2855 times)
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2003, 10:34:38 AM »

Gedday all,

I just fitted the towbar to the FC this weekend getting ready to tow the van, and as such I am wiring up a socket for the lights to plug into.

With the FC having the indicators and brake lights together, what is the best way to wire up for a trailer?

I`m assuming I may need to run a seperate wire from the front of the car to the boot for the brake lights?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Brendan.
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 07:39:32 AM »

Hi Brendan.

There are 2 solutions to your problem.

The simplest, I think, would be to convert to the late FC set-up of amber rear blinkers. Sure you have to change the lenses, & some like the 50's look of the red rear blinkers, but you don't have to run any new wires.

To do this, you utilise the currently unused reverse light wire for the brake lights & use the old brake light wires for the new amber blinker lights. Under the dash, attach the  other end of this reverse light wire to the brake light switch & that's it. It's then simple to wire up the trailer socket, same as a late model car (in the boot).

If you currently use the white lenses as reversing lights, attach the reverse light wire from the reverse switch,  under the dash to the connector where the brake lights were connected to.

The alternate plan, if you wish to stay with the red rear blinkers is to run 3 new wires from the dash to the boot area.

1 wire from the brake switch for the trailer's brake lights.
2 wires from the blinker switch (LH & RH) for the trailer's blinkers.

You could, if you wanted to, run the 5 core trailer wire all the way to the dash to reduce the number of connections.

Hope this helps.

Dr Terry.
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 11:35:36 PM »

Thanks Dr Terry,

That is all the info I need. Now I just need to give some thought to which way I go.

Chow,
Brendan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: