FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:09:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 1958 FC ute with 202  (Read 19333 times)
Bucko

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2003, 06:55:06 AM »

Hey guys,
I bought this FC ute only days ago site unseen......I got it shipped to Sydney from QLD, caught a bus to Sydney and drove it back to Canberra......The old girl runs like a dream.....the red 202 is sound......it's just not what I expected it to be......it has either an M20 or M21 box, HR front and rear, lowered, disc front, drum rear. Bucket seats SAAS steering wheel and tape deck. There is absolutely no rust in the ute. The bloke I bought it off (a lyer) just didn't tell me about a few things......small things like the front indicators and low beams not working, no horn, there is a crack in both front indicator surrounds, the grill also has a crack in it. The tray does need to be resprayed. All front end chrome needs to be be redone. rear bars are ok. engine bay needs a tidy up. speedo and fuel gauge don't work. paint work is ok but not the best quality. I was dissapointed in the fact that I wanted something very tidy with very little work needed......but due to the lies told to me I didn't get that. there are a few things to be done, other than that she is not bad. It still has QLD rego til November and like I said the engine is sound (at least he didn't lie to me about that I guess) she got from Sydney to Canberra without a glitch. I know I won't get back what I paid for it but I am open to any reasonable offer at this point......I am looking at rubbing back the inner tray this weekend and putting it under primer, depends on how busy I am. here is a pic anyways and the rest can be seen at the following website......
Paul_Buckley_FC_ute@photo.starblvd.net
if you are interested please don't hessitate to call me on 0412124157 after 4pm or email me at paul.buckley@ afp.gov.au
cheers guys
Bucko

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 07:03:12 AM »

sorry guys pic didn't work........and try this address not the first one.......(sorry newbie)

http://photo.starblvd.net/Paul_Buckley_FC_ute?st=album&pg=0&pw=*309A3F715418
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 10:35:12 AM »

g'day bucko   the ute looks good in the pics
i guess theres always a risk ,buying site unseen
hope you didn't get screwed too much
hope it all works out ok

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 11:28:57 AM »

Paul the car looks good, may-be you will come to love it. If not good luck and hope all goes well for you. Site unseen always risky as opions differ form person to person.

Regards
Mark

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 11:31:47 AM »

gee,i hope you have filled that brake master cylinder and fixed whatever corner is leaking fluid.

Bucko

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 07:21:24 PM »

the best thing is that there are no leaks.....none at all....which is a very good thing......I'm just dissapointed at the moment......I'm still looking at selling it as I just don't have time to do the things I want to do to it at the moment......the lights, indicators and horn are getting fixed this saturday.....
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 12:41:46 AM »

its pretty easy to become disillusioned when buying remotely.  I had similar feelings when the FE ute I recently bought turned up.  I had the car inspected by a well-known company, but they failed to find the rust in the sills and floorpans!  However, once you get started fixing things up (however slowly) I think you will feel better about it.  If, as you say, the ute is entirely rust-free, I would say hang on to it as its quite a rarity.

Jonno Smiley

Cottles Bridge, VIC
fergo
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 03:57:09 AM »

the ute looks really good to me.  The things you have to do are only minor cosmetics.  The main thing is that it has no rust.  If you are selling, what $ are you wanting?
Bucko

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 06:40:18 AM »

if anyone is willing to part with $6,500 to $7,000...it will go.....otherwise it will be stored in a shed for some time....I also noticed today that the firewall has been modified. It looks as though there were tripples on it at some stage.....
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2003, 05:36:58 AM »

Hi Bucko

I purchased my car sight unseen by me. I sent my father inlaw to have a look for me then I had it shipped from adelaide to brisbane. I was a little dissapointed after I picked my car Up and had to drive it about 60 km in peak hour traffic.

The brakes kept sticking

The hand brake did not work (I paid $110 to have it fixed so it could be transported)

The indicators did not work properly

The wipers were shagged

It was over heating, and the list goes on and on.

I over came all of that because I was and still am excited that I finaly got myself a 1958 FC Special. I decided to purchase the car site unseen, so who do I blame Huh. It was my discision, my money so I blamed me.

In reality you get what you pay for, or you pay what you think is a reasonable price. I think I payed the right money for what I got. I just expected it to be a little better thats all.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 07:10:16 PM by Ariesguy65 » Logged

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2003, 06:47:55 AM »

I bought an Ek Special sight unseen.I had seen plenty of Email pics of it.I had it shipped down from Sydney and i was wrapped when I saw it drive off the truck.I have hardly had to spend a cent on it apart from fitting more Nasco accessories and it never misses a beat when we go on club outingings.  Thanks Terry.

Regards Geoff.
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2003, 11:06:45 AM »

I bought an FC out of Sydney, sight unseen, but did have pics emailed and a very accurate description of all the faults with the car. When it was shipped down to Mt. Gambier it was a far better car than I expected, many thanks to Al for his honesty and for the repairs and checkover he did before it was picked up.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
Bucko

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2003, 06:53:41 AM »

hi giys,

well the old girl drives great but I'm still not happy with it as I wanted something pretty much finished......and I think I jumped into this one to quick........I want the old girl to go to a good home.....if i had the cash I would get her to show condition......but I don't ......I gotta let it go.....$6,000 is my absolute bottom dollar......I'm sure it will sell for that......I know I paid way more than that and I bought it sight unseen....never again let me tell ya.....i can be contacted on 0412124157.
cheers,
Paul.
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2003, 11:19:34 AM »

Well Bucko,

I've just recovered from buying an FE 'unseen' through Ebay.  I went and collected it in person, prepared to 'argue' it out with the seller if it wasn't as described.  I had an interesting drive home on Wednesday night.

I can tell you that poor bailey channels & worn quarter vent seals makes for a very loud car at high speeds!! Wink  I put a wad of tissue paper in each ear after the first five minutes - they stayed in for the full 11 1/2 hour drive.

My FE - has a 161, crash box, HR Disc brake front end, Hadfield chassis kit and no structural rust.  The interior wants some repairs and paint, and the RTA wants an Engineer's Certificate, but besides that, its a good car (you get to know the ting after a 1,000 km drive Grin)

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
HARKO
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2003, 11:42:24 AM »

Its always a story you hear but hope you never do it ,But ouch you got stung - Sorry to hear that spinner.
As a firm beleiver in decentsy ,Honesty and all things good ,followed by Karma and beat the shit out of lying arseholes I  would much rather of heard a quote like "I was unduly surprised at the great weathertight seal on my new car, When it was time to get out after 1000 klms I didnt want to and went for another drive around the block Smiley"
Something good will come in return mate, Cheers
Bucko

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 01:03:24 AM »

So many people want an FC ute and yet no one is calling.......what's doing....I think it's worth $6,000 and yet there are no takers....what's wrong.......I'm sure if it was looked at in person it would be more appreciated....
C'mon guys I gotta let the old girl go.....wanna find a SHOW FC ute....where this one is just a nice loking run about..........surely someone wants it........ Roll Eyes
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 02:35:34 AM »

Hey Bucko,

I reckon the FC ute looks pretty good in the pics, U can see the chrome is a bit off on the front bumper, the funny bonnet locks thru the hood, the checker plate look in the tray and the daily runner condition of the 202.  You are right.. this is no show car,  but still a  good modified FC ute. (Just take that bloody FOX sticker off it).

I dont really think for 6k you will get yourself a show winner,  but with a little work I'm sure this ute would tidy up very nicely.

After your brutally honest description I don't  think anyone will pay 6K for it.

I reckon YOU should make it a show car, you will be up for the same money anyway and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.. besides you cant really show car unless you've built it.. right??  and if it isn't destined to be shown, why have a show car at all?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Bucko

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2003, 05:23:51 AM »

Well I don't see the point in selling something unless being honest about it.....
I don't have the cash to build it to show quality.....it's just sitting under my carport doing sweet FA........I know I got ripped of by the guy in QLD......his name is Shane Grimwood......and he conned me thats for sure.....I'm still that angry that I just want the ute gone...
yackboy49

Model: FC

EARLY HOLDEN CAR CLUB INC. WANGARATTA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2003, 05:46:08 AM »

Hey bucko,
reading  some of these replys,  a lot of us have done the same, I too was disappointed that i may have paid to much, and a few things were wrong, they are old cars and any amount of money can't fix that, but.... I bought mine 3 years ago, got over the initial disappointment and still love driving it. The pictures look good, I think you did better than i did.

yackboy

Phil
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2003, 06:07:21 AM »

Bucko,

Tread carefully.  I wouldn't recommend publically naming the guy as a cheat.  Just ask Joe Gutnick...

When it all boils down, a car is only worth what someone will pay for it.  That rarely coincides with what the vendor is asking for it, of course.  That's what 'or nearest offer' is all about.  To be brutally honest, I think you really got yourself into this mess.  You were advised by several people on this forum - including me - that you should not buy a car sight unseen.  You ignored the advice, and you got burnt.  Having published all the trials and tribulations of your car purchase here, is it any wonder that you're not getting too many nibbles?

I really think you would be better off advertising it in the Trading Post or elsewhere and hopefully find a buyer who is unaware of the background and appreciates the car for what it is, as you say.

Please take this in the constructive manner in which it is intended.  I bought a car from interstate myself.  I spoke at length with the owner and a number of Victorian Club members before I bought it.  Once I was satisfied that the car was what it was supposed to be, I dropped about $350 on one-way flights for Dad and I to fly to Melbourne and check the car out.  As it happens I bought it, and have been very happy with it.  It's still cost me more money though Roll Eyes  But I was prepared to fly home again if it wasn't what I wanted.  Blowing $500 or so (Canberra/Gold Coast return) would have been expensive, but compare that to what your current situation is going to cost you....

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: