FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 16, 2024, 07:57:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: engine dies  (Read 582 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2024, 07:07:50 AM »

Hi gents and ladies ..My grey engine , stock standard , I am aware of this problem heard it before , but I just cant recall what the cause is , so I dont go looking at this and that I thought someone on the forum will say do this do that and the penny will drop for me ...the car has been running fine , all be it not often ..recently though , start up all good , move off , stop to turn onto road , or stop at intersection and go to move off , engine just dies , push accelerator sort of nothing then fires up and goes , on one occasion had to restart with the ignition and hold revs up a bit and get going , once going all good , get home turn into driveway , fault , fail, fart and then fire up and go ...any answers on this please ....Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2024, 07:18:58 AM »

Accelerator pump not squirting well. Pull air cleaner, operate throttle linkage by hand and watch for a blurt of fuel down the carb throat.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2024, 10:31:21 AM »

Check the fuel level in the fuel pump glass bowl also Vern. I had similar symptoms recently and it was an air leak in the fuel pipe before the pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just40
qld-club

Model: FE

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2024, 01:58:24 PM »

sounds like blockage on the fuel pick up in the tank.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2024, 06:07:26 PM »

The consensus seems to be fuel related Vern, so it’s probably spark 😄😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2024, 07:06:50 AM »

Errol ...Your right , just remind me where are the sparkplugs located exactly in the fuel tank ...seriously now, I built a demo grey motor for the museum at Fagan Park and it runs very well and responds to throttle, so I will take carby of that and put on the car and try ....Vern ..

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2024, 07:24:59 AM »

Hi all ..Action taken for the engine faultering ..I couldn't get my mind off blaming ignition rather than fuel ..so I purchased and ignitor 2 electronic ignition and fitted it ,checked all the vitals as per the instructions.. 12.54Volts across battery terminals 12.50Volts at battery earth on cylinder head to starter terminal, 0.01 Ohm resistance base plate of module to neg , 10.54Volts with ignition "on" coil to earth ..all in specified range  .set the dissy as per the book with vacuum off , which is a working vacuum and power timing light...plug leads are 6mm supression.. start her up running like a hairy goat ..fit a set of Accu checks , Number one and two spark irregular , terrible ..change leads on one and two , no different ...what now Huh?Go up to museum and get , dissy cap and leads and rotor button ..they are all the same , cap on car and demo engine Bosch , rotor Bosch , GMH OEM
 .no visible faults ..6mm supression leads..swapped all that over , bingo, runs like a groomed show prepared stud goat,..put the No. 1 and 2 suspect leads back on , works fine ..so has to be the cap or rotor ...put the other rotor back in , running fine ..has to be the cap , but it looks ok , carbon good , brass terminals good , no cracks , no arcking burns no spark jumping when engine running in dark ..any way i'll put it aside.. ..won't touch set up now , I have another cap to put back in the museum ..sometimes through process of elimination you fix something with out really knowing what you fixed ..I cleaned the fuel tank as best as possible when car restored , I fitted a fuel filter , it has only had about 6 tanks full of fuel through it , but you would imagine any residue of scale would come out in that time so I will fit new filter .So Harv if you read this thanks for offer of carby parts , I hope I dont need them in the future .Vern 

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2024, 07:31:32 AM »

Be interesting to see if the suspect cap runs OK on the museum motor, or if it makes that motor run poorly too.

Cheers,
Harv
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2024, 06:46:26 PM »

yes thats right Harv ..and it should , if its ok the mystery continues , and will leave me wondering when will it play up again ..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: