FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 16, 2024, 11:17:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Car trailer for sale  (Read 833 times)
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2024, 08:04:47 AM »

Moderators - please delete if inappropriate for the forum.

I have for sale my car trailer. I bought it about 15 years ago, and rebuilt it. The coupling hitch was replaced, and has over-run brakes. The brakes are able to be mechanically locked out at the hitch to either tow with no brakes or reverse the trailer without the brakes locking. The hitch is also able to be locked on to the vehicle with a padlock. The photos show a lot of heavy chain on the drawbar - please ignore this, it is only in place to lock the trailer to a tree to stop it being stolen. I have recently replaced the master cylinder. The trailer has four-wheel discs. I replaced the brake hoses to the calipers some time back. Two safety chains are fitted. Wiring is a seven-pin flat plug with recently installed LED taillights and normal incandescent side markers. There is a tailboard (not shown in the photos) that holds the license plate and license plate lamp. The trailer was originally yellow, and I painted it blue with Rustoleum paint. It is showing chips and scratches, and comes with a 1L tin of the correct paint. I replaced all four tyres when I rebuilt it, and one tyre recently - all have great tread. A simple toolbox is mounted to one side, and the other side has provision for mounting a jerrycan. The 1830mm long ramps were built using SuperCheap ramps, but heavily reinforced by a boilermaker... you could almost drive a D9 Cat up them. The ramps mount simply to the front of the payload area. A two-speed manually operated boat winch is fitted to the front of the trailer.

I bought this trailer as it is not as large as some. I have a single car fibro garage and a narrow driveway, and it fits into them... just. The payload area is 1700mm wide x 4000mm long. It readily fits an early Holden, and I have done multiple trips towing my EK wagon, Grace's EK ute and my FB sedan as they were either built or broke down. I can get the doors on these vehicles open when loaded, though the side rails would be easier to live with if they were dropped down to about 4" tall (simple welding job, but I cannot weld). I cannot get my sons VL Commodore onto it... the payload area is almost the exact width of the VL track. Including the guards and drawbar the trailer is 2260mm wide x 5530mm long.

I've done a lot of highway miles with it, mainly to Tamworth and back, both empty and loaded. It tows quite well, tracking true. The jockey wheel has the standard clamp-type mounting, and could do with a heavier mount (tends to cant sideways slightly when it has a huge load on the jockey wheel). Using the jockey wheel the front two tyres can be lifted off the ground, making it fairly easy for one person to steer around by hand. It's built sturdily, but two blokes can (just) lift the back of the empty trailer and shove it over a few inches (hand for squaring it up to a load). The trailer has been stored mostly indoors since I rebuilt it - it is unusual to see it chained to a tree as per the photos.

The tare weight of the trailer is 420kg. In NSW, the maximum that can be towed (with brakes on the trailer) is 1.5 times the towing vehicle weight. I have been comfortable that I can use my early Holden to tow another early Holden on this trailer and still meet the weight constraints. You will need to make your own choice as to what you are comfortable towing, and what you are comfortable towing with.

The trailer is located in Greystanes, western Sydney and is registered in NSW until the end of July 2025. I costs me $221 per annum for rego. Asking $1700 for it. New car trailers are around three times this price.

Cheers,
Harv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: