FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 02:53:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration Help  (Read 2713 times)
rickjen
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2022, 04:36:42 PM »

Hi All
I have a FC wagon and about to get back into a rebuild after some time off (about 4yrs) due to ill health. Although i took care in labeling, taking pics etc, time has played havoc on texta marking fading as well as memory fade
I have Workshop Manuals
Spare parts catalogues
Some pics, so the question is, apart from doing searches on this FC informative site on each individual area I get stuck on, are there any other tips books or manuals that can help me with reassembling
Looking forward to suggestions
Regards
Rick

rickjen
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 06:52:50 PM »

Rick,

If you get stuck, ask. Photos of the parts in question will help too.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 09:34:56 PM »

Just ask and knowledge will flow. Good to see you are reviving the enthusiasm.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 09:06:45 AM »

If you have problems installing the rear door glass, I can assist with the process. Kevin.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 06:52:37 PM »

Thanks for your support and offers to help, just don't want to be a pain.
There is now no rust (100% rust free), no dents or any body work to do, had the motor bottom end completed by local old master mechanics, just need the head restored and updated at a later date.
But now i need to start fitting the front frame assy  ( what size bolts? ) i know i have the correct ones but markings are gone.
 Once again your support and help is very much welcomed
regards
Rick

rickjen
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 07:23:50 PM »
+1

Rick,

You're in luck.  I went up to the carport, opened a drawer and pulled out a Glad sandwich bag marked "front subframe".

Here's what's in it:

- (2x) outer subframe bolts (5/8" AF), 2-13/16" shaft length, of which 2-1/4" is 7/16" dia, and the remaining length is threaded 5/16" UNF; with lockwashers and 5/16" UNF nuts.

- (2x) inner subframe bolts (9/16" AF), 2-1/8" shaft length, of which 1-5/8" is 3/8" dia, and the remaining length is threaded 5/16" UNF; with lockwashers and 5/16" UNF nuts.  The bolts go in from the transmission tunnel side.

- (6x) subframe skirt bolts (5/16" UNF x 5/8"), with lockwashers and 5/16" UNF nuts (4).  The bolts go in from the firewall side.

- (2x) 10-gauge x 1/2" pan slot head self-tapping screws, with 7/32" x 1/2" x 0.050" flat washer, also for the subframe skirts.

Don't even think about installing the front subframe until you (or a machine shop) have made up a pair of "subframe bolt bullets".  

The outer subframe bolt bullet is 7/16" OD, about 1-1/2" long, tapering gently down to a bull-nose, with a screwdriver slot at the point.  The blunt end is centre-drilled and tapped 5/16" UNF x 3/4" deep.

The inner subframe bolt bullet is 3/8" OD, about 1-1/4" long, tapering gently down to a bull-nose, with a screwdriver slot at the point.  The blunt end is centre-drilled and tapped 5/16" UNF x 3/4" deep.

You screw the bolt bullets down onto the subframe bolts until the bullet bottoms on the bolt's shoulder.  Then when the subframe leg is roughly lined up (use a no. 3 or 4 Phillips screwdriver), start the bolt in the hole and drive it home with a hammer.  Then use a flat screwdriver to unscrew the bullet from the bolt.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 10:24:15 AM by ardiesse » Logged

rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 08:16:02 PM »

ardiesse
   Now I know what 12 bolts and screws to look for hopefully still in 1 container

re " subframe bolt bullets" I will give my son in-law a copy of your description, there is a machine shop at the job he is at, hopefully they can help.

Thanks for help
Rick

rickjen
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 10:25:06 AM »

Rick,

I forgot about captive nuts in the subframe skirt, so six 5/16" UNF nuts are now four.

Rob

rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 03:56:12 PM »

Rob
Thanks for update Smiley
Rick

rickjen
rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2022, 04:29:28 PM »
+1

Hi
Just to let you know found bolts and screws with your help.
Fitted subframe this morning perfectly
Thanks heaps
Rick

rickjen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: