FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 30, 2024, 05:43:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HELP? where do i look for rust  (Read 4925 times)
gav

my addiction is cars , wats urs?

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2003, 10:49:53 AM »

i have not owned or played with a fe/fc holden before & i would like to know where all the usual rust spots on these models are ? i am off on a 3 week drive around country nsw / qld on a car hunt .... plenty of farms allready hooked up for me to explore on & i need to know what to look for ....
also is there any rare items i should be keeping an eye out for ?
Regards; Gav
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 11:08:48 AM »

The turret is usually sound. They rust everywhere else.
craiga
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 11:14:23 AM »

Eddie,

Don't be so sure about the turret. Otherwise I think you pretty well nailed it  Wink

Cheers,

Craig.
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 02:16:31 PM »

Hi Gav
      Not sure about any FC's around here ,I'm in Young . If you're coming around this direction let us know, a few guys have scooped up most, but will ask .
    Cheers
    Norm

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 07:40:48 PM »

Hi Gav,
I think the other guys have just about nailed it. All the steel bits could be rusty. Anything thats not metal should be OK.  Wink Grin

Cheers,

Graham.

OK, I'm a smartarse, you get that Grin Grin
Hope you find something good in your travels.
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 08:26:45 PM »

Hi all.
This is where I usually add a smart arsed comment. But today, I am in a "Helpful & serious mood" Roll Eyes.

Gav,
It depends on how much cash, skill, vision & patience you have. It is rare to find a car totally rust free on a farm. They are out there still, I can assure you of that Wink. But finding them & the buying them is the trick.
Rust. Like to boys said, everything from the aerial tip down, that is made of steel, is capable of rusting. But, it is all fixable, depends on how keen (or mad) you are. I remember one fella on the forum asking about rust in his suspension arms & springs. Bloody hell, I thought, if they are rusted through, I would hate to see the rest of the car.
It can cost big dollars, if you have no skills or facilities to do the repairs yourself.

If we were to list all the places there could be rust, it would take up all this page. Just look everywhere yourself. I would advise you to go & get a RareSpares catalogue for the FE FC & look see what rust repair items are available. Then you will get an idea of costs & possible resto's.

Goodluck on your search. If possible, take an old, un modified Holden with you to do the search in. I have found, in my searches, that the kind of people who have these cars stashed away, are not keen to sell it to someone with a "Hotted Up" car. I have a mate here who has been to places I have visited after him & I have been more succesful. He drives a modified HR with Westons, I drive a stock standard FC wagon.

Just a bit off topic here. I just want to let you know what my "Dream Job" is.
"Coucil Approved, Shed Inspector"!! Grin Imagine that?? I know it doesn't really exist, but wouldn't it be great?

"Sorry Sir, I am going to have to confiscate those old Holden bits" "This shed is unsafe"!! Grin Grin

Goodluck
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
HARKO
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 10:03:11 PM »

How about a job a bloke told me he had and was realy succesfull in finding everything old ,  A linesman and also rivene cleaner ,How many cars have been dumped in rivenes over the years and they would actualy drag them out and put them on the side of the road where the truck would pick them up but he would bring his own and the cars and other stuff were then his, "Bastard"
gav

my addiction is cars , wats urs?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003, 06:34:42 AM »

thanx guys..
i'm off on sunday . most of the properties are from hen i was younger i used to shoot bunnies on Smiley & the rest are relo related etc actually have quite a few located cars mostly utes allready to look at .
i built an 28 A model ford roadster pickup a few yr's ago & that was a basket case , but it still had rust in the usual places for that model.. a relo has got me onto an old wrecking yard near Tenterfeild which has been closed for the past 18 yrs ... should be interesting , i alwaze say i'm out to restore Smiley white lie's cant hurt can they.......Smiley & the rare spares catalogue idea .... ok i'm the stupid one for not thinking of it......
ive ownly got a hz van & a trailer , but if anyone needs me to keep an eye out for anything , dont hesitate to let me know...
Regards; Gav
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 11:03:12 AM »

Hey Gav.
Good luck on your hunt.
I have always wanted to do that sort of trip, but never have. Keep your eyes out for another one of those 28 Model A Fords. I want one to Hot Rod. (a sedan or tudor perhaps)
Don't forget your camera, I want to see lots of pics.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 11:04:32 AM by custom_fc » Logged

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2003, 08:07:32 AM »

Gav,  whilst youre looking - please write down any ID plate details as well as chassis numbers to go with them.  I would really appreciate the information to add to my collection

Regards   Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: