FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:59:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR Disk Brake Front End Fitting Instructions  (Read 2695 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« on: November 08, 2023, 12:22:02 PM »

Hi All

I seem to remember some time ago that someone posted a set of instructions to upgrade FE - FC from a standard drum brake front end to HR Disk Brake. I have done a search and can’t find anything but that doesn’t mean its not here.

If you know were it is or that its just my wishful thinking please let me know.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 03:56:43 PM »
+1

By memory -

It's easiest to change to 3/16" brake pipes - the same as FB onwards.  The hoses for front discs won't suit the FC's 1/4" brake pipes.  Use the brake pipe distribution block from an FB or EK.

You need to replace the outrigger on the HR front crossmember with one from an FB or EK (FE-FC may work, but I don't know whether an FE-FC crossmember is the same height at the front).  The holes in the outrigger for the front engine mount (if grey) may need re-drilling.  Red motor engine mounts are your own problem.

You'll need to use an HD-HR rear axle, noting that HRs have 2-1/4" wide rear springs, while FCs have 2" wide rear springs.  You will need to put 1/8" wide spacers on each side of your rear springs to suit the HR rear axle.  Also, the rear brake hose (FB-HR) is only just not long enough for an HR rear axle.  I hear that a certain model Ford brake hose is a bit longer than the Holden one.

Or, you can use an EJ-EH rear axle, noting that EJ and EH also have 2-1/4" wide rear springs.  You will need to relocate the EJ-EH brake pipe bracket to the same position as the FC, and get new brake pipes for the rear axle.

The later model rear axle bump stops are on the rear axle, not the body.  Remove your FC's rear axle bump stops.

Rear handbrake cables are a hassle.  I'd suggest using an HD-HR rear handbrake cable, with the following warnings: Cut the rear handbrake cable mounting brackets out of an HD or HR and weld them to your FC's rear floors.  The HR handbrake cable is a little too short, so you will need to make a couple of sheet metal strips and use an extra clevis pin to "bridge the gap" between the FC cable equaliser and lower handbrake lever.  I hear that a conversion rear handbrake cable is available from Rare Spares.

The later model rear axle will require 9/16" bore wheel cylinders and shoes to suit the smaller diameter cylinders.

Remove the check valve from your brake master cylinder.

Use a VH40 brake booster, with new pipes from master cylinder to booster, and from booster to brake pipe distribution block.  Install a T-fitting in the inlet manifold if you still have vacuum wipers.

When installing the HR front suspension, use all HR bolts, spacers and rubbers, except for the outrigger rubber, which is FE-EK.  You will have to remove the battery and tray to gain access to the left front crossmember bolt.

I'd suggest re-using your original FC steering linkages, but I am probably alone in this.  If you want to use HD-HR steering linkages, you will need the HD-HR pitman arm and idler arm plus support.  The HR drag link will have minimal clearance to the sump.

The FC's front sway bar is usable with an HR front crossmember, but you may need to turn it upside-down for better alignment of the rubbers.

Get four HR wheels.  FE-EH wheels will not fit.  HD wheels are acceptable, but will give you 1/2" narrower track.  Your FC wheel nuts will suit HD-HR wheels.

Persuading the authorities in your state to register the car after you've done the conversion is your responsibility.  You may need dual circuit brakes and other safety equipment.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 06:02:48 PM »
+1

That’s pretty comprehensive,  not surprisingly from Rob. I’ve done this conversion a couple of times over the years and it is pretty straight forward. The bottom four rubbers on the subframe mounting bolts are deleted on HR, which is why Rob recommends using the shorter HR bolts, but you can just cut the threads a bit longer. Pay attention to the crush tubes, with the shorter sets going at the front for positive caster and better handling.

Fchoon Pete Mallaby makes great red motor engine mounts you can use, with credit go Neil Firecracker for the original pattern I believe.

Retrospares Autocables at Eltham Vic will supply you a handbrake cable for what ever rear axle conversion you use, for a good price, and promptly. Ring them up rather than order on line.

You can use your FE EK rear hose on an EJ EH rear axle with relocated distribution block mount, FB EK distribution block, and 3/16” bundy tube to the HR disc compatible wheel cylinders, assuming you retain single circuit master.

Alternatively to removing the body mounted rear bump stops you can weld on the FE EK lower bump stops, though it is a bit more effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 09:03:54 PM »

Thanks Rob and Clay

Having this in one spot is gold. I am picking up a HR front end on Friday so also timely.

I have to make a call on putting it in now and slowing down the restoration of my ute a little or waiting until I have her registered and do it next year.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 11:44:01 PM »

Thanks for the reply’s gents. I am sure the info supplied on this thread will be handy for more than just me.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 03:43:00 AM »

I think this is the other article you were referring to originally:
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/tech002.html
A good supplement to what has been written above.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 10:20:22 PM »

Yep that’s the one, Thanks