FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:02:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Roof lining  (Read 2357 times)
Laszlo

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »

G'day everyone  !

My Fe not original, so I don't have to put back vinyl roof lining.
I have a few questions  :

1, Do I have to take out the windscreen  and the back window  to do it properly ? (I don't really want to)
2, I heard using soft material easier than using vinyl.
3, What is a fair price for it if an upholstery guy will do it ? ($600 + ?)
4, My original sound deadening is reasonable condition, worth to clean it up and put something like Dynamat or Deadna? (Time and money...)
5, Is the best way to replace the windlace the same time  with the lining  ?

Thanks for your help :Laszlo

Holden = The Heartbeat of Australia
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 03:10:07 PM »

Laszlo,

Headlining = headache.

1.  Yes.  The headlining is glued in place around the windscreen and rear window openings before the glass goes in.  If you want to remove the headlining, the fixed glass has to come out.

2.  Could be.

3.  Considering the amount of labour involved, $600 is OK to me.

4.  On the floor or inside the roof?  The roof has sound deadening material glued to the inside, but it comes unstuck from the roof and sits on the headlining.  More headache.

5.  Yes.  But it makes a big job bigger.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 10:03:50 PM »

Thanks Rob !

Back to question 1,  I don't really want to open a can of worms to taking out the fixed glasses. Any short cut? Lift up the rubber a bit and glue the liner underneath. Sounds a bit dodgy...(?)

Question 4 : I meant  the  roof deadener. I cleaned up the loose bits , about 80 % the original still sticking very well to the roof after 65 years. I thought I will use Dynamat on the cleaned up area. Hopefully will stick well.

Cheers : Laszlo

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 08:26:38 AM »

I would have to 100 % agree with Rob, the headliner will not stay in place if it is not stuck down correctly under the front and rear screens. It has to be glued and folded OVER the lip of the roof and then the screens put back in.
Just adding to the windlacing a bit. The lacing has to be removed in order to replace the headliner so it is a good opportunity to fit new lacing, however it is pretty fiddly to get it right down the A pillar. Rob puts it well when he describes it as making a big job bigger, but there is one other consideration. The windlacing is held in by spikes in a metal retainer attached to the roof rails. When you pull everything out, you straighten out this retainer and align the little teeth so that it will work correctly. You really don’t want to do this twice especially if you have a new headliner already in place. So I would recommend replacing the wind lacing at the same time as the headliner

Ken
Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 02:38:37 PM »

Thanks guys !

You right Headlining = Headache
Headlining + windlace = Migraine

Cheers: Laszlo

: ( Do I need  headlining ? Maybe I just will paint it for camouflage....... : (

my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 07:25:51 AM »

And when you replace the rubber screen seals make sure you, 10000% sure , you have the correct seal for your model ...Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 01:53:23 PM »

Thanks for the warning Vern !
I did order the seals from Better auto rubber .
I have Fe Special Sedan with the chrome surrounding. Hopefully I will get the right one.

Cheers:Laszlo

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »

What do you think worth to get rid of all the old roof deadener (80 % still ok) and put new one up ? Make the bigger job even bigger...

Laszlo

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: