FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:56:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Timing cover Gasket  (Read 1775 times)
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2021, 04:21:01 PM »

I'm re-fitting my timing cover and would like to know what is recommended  ... just the gasket, or gasket and goo, or just sealant, or a combination... what is best for a good seal?
Thanks in advance, Dave.

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 07:50:15 PM »

Dave,

You can use a hardening gasket cement to glue the gasket onto the front engine mount plate.

The bolts tend to "dimple" the timing cover when tightened, so a good idea is to un-dimple the bolt holes.  Use a small hammer, with a 1/2" socket on the outside of the cover . . . you get the idea.  Similarly with the reinforcement piece.

I lightly grease the cover before assembly.  If (heaven forbid) I have to take the cover off again, the gasket doesn't stick to the cover.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 07:13:31 AM »

Dave ..I can suggest , a double lip seal filled with a little grease between the lips ,if the inner lip does its job the outer may " burn " it helps that problem ,assemble the cover up with a seal aligning tool in place , it is critical that the seal in dead centre on the balancer shaft ...cheers Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »

Thanks Vern ... but please, what is a double lip seal ?

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: