FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:28:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring a towbar  (Read 2418 times)
Sheriff
qld-club

Model: FE

FEs rule!

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2021, 03:12:14 PM »

Gday all.   I know this has been asked before, but I am a bit dumb.  As I want to leave my FE rear lights original, I am wanting to wire my towbar by running new wires from under the dash back to the socket.   I have a 5 core trailer wire.   I have a coloured wiring diagram which I have been studying  and am a bit confused as to where they all get connected. Do I connect the indicator wires to the purple and pink wires coming out of the steering column. ?   Do I connect the park light wire to the white wire from the light switch.   Do I connect the brake light wire to the stop lamp switch outlet before the junction of the purple and pink wires, but wouldn't that still pick up the intermittent indicator signal?  As I said I am a bit dumb with these things, (and lots of others).   Any clues.  thanks in anticipation, Mike. 
Professor Grey

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 10:06:19 AM »

Hi Mike,
Ask me at Sunday's club run.
If you have run a cable all the way from the dashboard to the towbar, it's a piece of p***.
Gaz

You don't get this old by accident.
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 10:29:52 AM »

I did this years ago on an FC, but I had to check the wiring diagram to get my colours correct.

Firstly the standard for the trailer wiring is:

RH Blinker - Green
LH Blinker - Yellow
Brake Lights - Red
Tail Lights - Brown
Earth - White

Run the 5-core all the way to the dash & connect:-

Trailer Green to Violet at the Blinker Switch (Best place is where the wires exit the steering column tube)
Trailer Yellow to Pink at the Blinker Switch
Trailer Red to White at the Blinker Switch
Trailer Brown to Black at the Light Switch (or the wiring harness near the RH door hinges)
Trailer White to a good earth bolt.

What I've done to my FC is to convert the blinkers to the lower lens (just like FB/EK utes & vans), but I kept the white/opaque lens (because I prefer the look). But instead of running an orange globe, I use what is called a "Phantom" globe, which look silver when not lit. When it's not lit you can't see any orange thru the lower lens (so it looks stock) however when you put the blinkers on they light up a strong orange.

So I have the best of both worlds, a stock original FE/FC look, but modern (arguably safer) rear blinkers. Now I've started a debate !!

Dr Terry
Sheriff
qld-club

Model: FE

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »

Thanks P.G. & Dr. Terry,  exactly what I need...Have not run the cable yet, so still mulling over the other option.   cheers, Mike. 
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 07:57:29 AM »

DR.Terry ..No argument on safety issue from me to have the clear rear tail light lense fitted with orange light to blink ,I have orange led bulbs in all four blinkers , I dont believe the average motorist today is looking at a red rear brake light blinking as a turn indication , more likely they think " poor old bugger got his wires crossed "...Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: