FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:26:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rocker Cover Racer found  (Read 6597 times)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2021, 09:33:20 AM »
+4

Was cleaning up and sorting through stuff in the shed and found this

I think it was Canberra nationals in 95 where this little chap won the rocker cover races. I think we ran them two Nationals Bendigo in 93 and Canberra 95 but could be wrong. I do remember the Vic club running one and someone (was it Phil Illfield?) brought a rocker cover with 4 actual car wheels on it (does a photo exist of this?)

Anyway look at the barn dust!  It’s got to be worth a fortune, very low miles, one owner, only ever driven down hill.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »

Ken
Looks a cross between Bluebird & a Locomotive
I'll start the bidding at $50 + postage!
Gary
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 05:18:47 PM »

I'll get you under brakes Gary ,at turn one .. $100.00 plus ..Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 08:19:55 PM »

You're absolutely spot on with your recollection of when we had rocker cover races at the Nats, Ken.

I don't know if any photos exist of Phil's monster-truck rocker-cover, but I do recall there was a fracas over it. It really wasn't very safe, letting it loose down the ramp and away between the line-up of cars. A weight rule was implemented for the next event.

That's a great blast from the past.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 09:37:56 PM »

Ah yes the fracas........I remember there was also a discussion about a rubber band powered speedster......
It was certainly a mistake not writing the rules tightly enough. Definitely better in 1995.

I’ve got another blast from the past which I will post later - even better than the rocker cover racer....stay tuned.

Ken
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 09:58:24 PM »
+2

Hey Ken.
Here she is in competition, just to prove her race pedigree.
Regards
Alex

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 10:05:43 PM »
+1

....and Phil's monster in '93.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 10:20:17 PM »

Great pictures Alex, you can see me keeping my thumbs off the track in that second picture in case they got run over.
I’m Probably a little too close for comfort now that I look at it from a distance.

Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 10:26:05 PM »

You can actually see my 93 rocker cover racer sitting on the ground behind me in the second photo. It got new wheels for 95 and a new weight system to make it go faster.

I heard a rumour the rocker cover races will return at Broken Hill.........

Ken
old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 01:37:01 PM »

If that's the case ...DARTH is ready for the challenge. What person would have thought to enter a "rubber band" powered racer?  From memory it even powered its way uphill Cheesy  Can;t thonk who that was.. must have been desperate for a win.  I remember the "uproar" over Phill's baby.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  CU @ the Hill. Regards The Cheeter.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 02:08:34 PM »

Just looking @ that photo again Ken. How many can you identify? I can see a younger version of Ziggy, Steve Nelson & Tailshaft Tim Miller. Is that Tony Hegyesi on the RHS?   Kevin.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 02:36:59 PM »

I don’t think it’s Tony, I can’t actually name anyone on the right hand side

Ken
old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 03:21:07 PM »

OK!  Here's the challenge: Can anyone put names to the faces in this pic? Kevin.

old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 03:39:43 PM »

There are 18  people in Alex's photo.   L-R   1  Ziggy Mossender                        10 Kev. Woolard, [cat in the hat]
                                                                 2                                                  11
                                                                 3                                                  12 Steve Nelson
                                                                 4                                                  13
                                                                 5 Tim Miller                                   14
                                                                 6                                                  15
                                                                 7 Darren Supple?                           16
                                                                 8 Ken McLean                                17
                                                                 9                                                  18
                                                                                                                     19                           There are 13 unknown to me. can you help?

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 04:38:53 PM »

4 is John Tonkin from the ACT club I think

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 08:23:47 AM »

GP tells me:

From left, Siggy Moseneder (now resides in the USA with his FE), Colin Tierney maybe sipping on a coffee and Samantha Tierney standing in front of him, John Tonkin, Tim Miller, Dave Campbell with dark glasses and moustache

old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 04:28:19 PM »

Thanks David & Graeme.                                   1. Siggy Mosender                                   13-19 ?
                                                                        2. Samantha Tierney
                                                                        3. Col Tierney.
                                                                        4.  John Tonkin.
                                                                        5  Tim Miller
                                                                        6  Dave Campbell.
                                                                        7  Darren Supple.
                                                                        8  Ken McLean.
                                                                        10  Kevin Woolard.                                                             
                                                                        12  Steve Nelson.

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2021, 03:36:01 PM »

I can't recognise anyone from the first photo beyond those already identified. For what it's worth in the photo with Phil's monster I can recognise Ken McLean, a very young looking Russell Bates, Siggy and Craig Wilson at the far right. The faces of the two blokes either side of Russell I remember from long ago Nats, but not sure of either's name. I'm sure Ken knows who they are.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2021, 05:06:23 PM »

Daryl Flitton in the glasses and Patrick Walsh. Both early members of the Vic club

Ken
grey nomad

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 11:16:12 AM »

“ TRIVIA”  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Racer specs for fx-fj clubs was = Height 250mm, Width 250mm, Length750mm, Weight5kg.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: