FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:34:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bench seat  (Read 4718 times)
Laszlo

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2021, 11:46:52 AM »

How big trouble to "modifying back" my bucket seats to bench seat. I have a feeling not that easy to find a front bench seat any more. If somehow I'm lucky to find one, how hard to cut out the middle for the gear shift ? If is all done I presume I have to deal with queensland transport to change the registration from 5 seaters back to 6 seaters.
What do you think this is a dead end project ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Holden = The Heartbeat of Australia
Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 01:34:58 PM »

I found this Fc on the net. His done it without reshaping the middle of the bench. I just need to move the front seat back about 50-60 mm to fit my shifter.
Anybody can tell me how much movement I can get out from the original bench seat if I using the original holes on the floor pan ?
Or maybe I have to modify the runners to get least the 50 mm ?

Laszlo

Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 02:19:26 PM »

One more question:  FB and EK  front bench seat will fit into the FE ?

Thanks

Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 02:43:30 PM »

One more : I found a frame  in driving distance from my place : $500 . Any idea how much is to cover it ?

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »

$500 for a bare bench seat frame???

The FB/EK ones (with tatty but serviceable trim) are closer to $100, and often $50 or free.

Cheers,
Harv
Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 04:14:50 PM »

Thanks Harv !

The $100 seat a good news if I can found one. On Gumtree they asking between $500 and $1000.  I thought that's ridiculous, but I thought lately the demand lot higher then the supply. 
Anyone has some ideas where can I find a seat around Brisbane. I will check out the guy in the bush near Fernvale.

Back to my other question the FB or EK will fit the FE ?

Laszlo

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 06:28:31 PM »

Yes they bolt in Lazlo, but you have to use the  FB EK metal surrounds. Not original, but nor do they look out of place. I got my front seat done, single colour vinyl, $700, original FB pattern. I paid $100 for a rough EK front bench 20 years ago when I last bought one.

In a sedan or wagon you can move the seat back a bit further in theory, but not ute. Van I'm not sure. Ask me again in five years time.

If it is an auto shifter you should be able to locate it further forward and I've also seen a thread somewhere about doing so with an m20 Australian 4 speed torana hq-vk manual.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 10:16:43 PM »

Thanks Errol !

I have FE sedan with a TH350 transmission.  I don't  think I can relocate any further forward. So I  hope I can locate the seat backwards about 50 mm, if I can found  one for a decent price.
I can't wait an other five years Smiley Good luck with your van !

FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 09:28:59 AM »

Hi Laszlo
You should be able to move the shifter forward its cable operated isn't it, I have a B&M in my EK Ute (I'd post a photo but its too hard) and didn't modify the bench seat as Clay said not much movement of the bench in a Ute.
I have an FC bench seat but I'm in WA it is covered but has a hole in the top of the passenger side back thanks to one of my dogs when he was young (almost didn't make it to his next birthday) however it wouldn't be $100  Roll Eyes

Give me a PM if you can't find one closer and I could send some photos via email mate.
Neil
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 10:55:59 AM »

Or maybe I have to modify the runners to get least the 50 mm ?

Don't mod the seat, move the shifter they are bolted to the trans tunnel and use a cable to shift. It's much easier to drill 4 holes than mod the bench.

Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 11:03:17 AM »

Thanks Neil and Glenn  !
Glenn your set still on the market ? Seat and trims

Cheers: Laszlo

Laszlo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 04:55:11 PM »

Anyone from Queensland ( maybe different rules in other states) changed back the bucket seats to bench lately?
On my blue modification plate the seat capacity says  : 5 (obvious with bucket seats)
Today when I called qld transport they said I don't have to do anything if I changing back to the bench seat. Sounds like a bit odd, on my plate will say the capacity is five but really will  be 6. I just curious what's the logic in it ? Ok, I know government....

I did find out some other interesting facts too today.
Years ago when we squeeze the V8 into the FE, we found it out (sorry we thought we did) we have to install seatbelt for the rear seats too. And an other thing we had to do back than: the 2 speed wipper. Today the guy from transport said this two modifications never was required.
Yes, I know good we done it specially  the seatbelts.  

I didn't ask him the other modification requirements we did back then. Collapsible steering column, front disc brakes, chassis strengthening..... etc

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 05:01:37 PM by Laszlo » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: