FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:38:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 1958 FC Station Sedan Chassis  (Read 4114 times)
THEGURU14

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2021, 11:22:50 PM »

Hey, just wondering if there are any donor chassis around for my 1958 FC Station Sedan. It’s quite badly rusted near the front doors and on the rear wheel arches. Also if there are any drawings or schematics of the chassis that would be very appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »

Hi Guru if you have a manual it will show you the dimensions of the chassis etc. if you don't have one then maybe someone on here can post for you or I suggest you get one for your own reference.
Neil
THEGURU14

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 11:28:46 AM »

Thanks Krata, yeah I need to find a manual, either an original or a breakdown one. I’m sure there would be one floating around

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 05:45:16 PM »

The FC doesn’t have a chassis that unbolt like a chev of the same year does. Everything has to be cut out and repaired. Generally even donor pieces from other cars need a little repair work before they can be used again. The workshop manual shows the chassis details but fitting / making new pieces is generally how it’s done.
I have a workshop manual for sale if you are interested in purchasing one.

Ken
THEGURU14

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 09:30:30 PM »

The FC doesn’t have a chassis that unbolt like a chev of the same year does. Everything has to be cut out and repaired. Generally even donor pieces from other cars need a little repair work before they can be used again. The workshop manual shows the chassis details but fitting / making new pieces is generally how it’s done.
I have a workshop manual for sale if you are interested in purchasing one.

Ken
Cheers man. Yeah that makes sense. As we were tearing her down the chassis turned out better than we thought so yeah cutting it out and repairing is definitely the best way forward. I might enquire about the manual a little later when needed

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 11:18:51 AM »

HeyGuru are you talking about the front end (subchassis) when you are talking chassis or the strengthening under the floor  Huh I'll take a photo from the manual for you and post it.
Neil
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »

Im not sure but you can have a look thru these and see if you can find some dimensions Technical and engineering Specifications Documents  
THEGURU14

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 05:11:26 PM »

HeyGuru are you talking about the front end (subchassis) when you are talking chassis or the strengthening under the floor  Huh I'll take a photo from the manual for you and post it.
Neil
Well a little bit of both. The major brace under the floor from the passenger to driver door has rusted away. A few of the floor strengthers are eaten away also, so any photos would be a great help

THEGURU14

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 05:12:18 PM »

Im not sure but you can have a look thru these and see if you can find some dimensions Technical and engineering Specifications Documents  
Thanks mate. That last one may be of use. It’s for the FE but it’s very similar

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »

Hi Guru;
Those pieces are very common to rust out and are available from Rare Spares.
I find it a pain to post photos on here so PM me an email address or mobile phone number and I will send you the photo from the manual of the chassis/floor bracing from the manual.
Neil
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 04:48:43 PM »

By the looks of your No. 1 body crossmember, you'll most likely have rust holes in the bottoms of the cowl panels also (just inside the lower rear corners of the front guards, where the outer subframe legs bolt on).  While you're at it, take a good look at the front subframe tie member (just to the front of and below the radiator), the lower subframe legs, and the sills.  If you're brave, take a look inside the rear wheel arches, at the bottom front corner where all the sand and mud accumulate.

It may end up being a remove-everything-forward-of-the-firewall repair job.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
THEGURU14

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 03:40:38 AM »

By the looks of your No. 1 body crossmember, you'll most likely have rust holes in the bottoms of the cowl panels also (just inside the lower rear corners of the front guards, where the outer subframe legs bolt on).  While you're at it, take a good look at the front subframe tie member (just to the front of and below the radiator), the lower subframe legs, and the sills.  If you're brave, take a look inside the rear wheel arches, at the bottom front corner where all the sand and mud accumulate.

It may end up being a remove-everything-forward-of-the-firewall repair job.

Rob
Thanks for the insight mate. You really know your away around that kind of rust. I’ll be sure to check it all over and determine the extent of the rust which will be fun. Thankyou again

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 08:53:22 PM »

You really know your away around that kind of rust.

You don't know the half of it mate. Check out Rob's thread here: http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=27433.0

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: