FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:07:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: For sale: Vertex magnetos  (Read 2976 times)
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2020, 09:57:52 AM »

I have for sale two Scintilla Vertex magnetos, to suit Holden grey motor (serial numbers NV6-425035 and NV-44968).

I collected a number of 6-cylinder magnetos over the years, originally built for other cars (Corvair, Mercedes etc). I’ve had each of them rebuilt by Advanced Magnetos this month, and am onselling the ones that I don’t need.

The magnetos have been stripped and rebased to suit the Holden grey motor. Consumable parts have been replaced, the internal coils replaced, permanent magnets recharged and the magnetos tested. Both pull 1.9 amps. New Taylor 8mm Prowire solid core leads are fitted. The leads have been left full length – organise them however suits your engine, and then simply trim to length with sidecutters and a sharp knife. These units will cause RF interference, and may make your radio crackly.

The magnetos originally had mechanical advance. This has been removed, and both units now have fixed advance. Extensive testing by Advanced Magnetos shows that the Vertex centrifugal weight system is not reliable, despite a lot of effort to make them so. Whilst the vehicle will operate with the advance weights in place, there is a significant chance of misfire under load. If the vehicle is just putting around town, this is probably not noticeable. If the vehicle is being used in anger, it is a real risk. The fixed advance means that more crank advance will be required (the magneto will need to be “turned around” more than a normal dizzy). This may making starting harder, though is often solved by spinning the engine up to speed before de-earthing the magneto.

A magneto kill switch will be required (I can probably supply these from my stash at cost), or a relay is required if you want to retain the ignition key stop/start.

Like anything I sell, I am not aiming to make any profit out of these.
a)   The magnetos owe me $650 each on average to buy.
b)   The overhaul and modification to suit grey motor owes me $825 each.
c)   The plug leads owe me $105.

Total of $1580. Call it $1600 each, and I will pay postage.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »

One sold, one still remaining for sale.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv
Guru