FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:30:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: club plate frames  (Read 3152 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2020, 06:24:40 AM »

what supplier has the best choice of club plate frames ? 

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 01:50:30 PM »

Hi Vern,

I'm not sure who has the best, or even who makes them these days.

The ones on my car were made in about 2003, by Peter Jackson (formerly of The Old Auto Rubber Company). I don't know whether he still makes them or not - tbh I don't know if he's even still vertical, it was a long time ago - but I reckon they are the best I've seen.

They are white, exactly the size of a standard 6 letter black on yellow plate, with the holes in the right places (bottom of front plate, top of back) to fit the plate where it's supposed to be. Opposite the long side with the holes is printed the club name (so it appears above the front plate, below the rear plate).

The actual historical plate is fitted centred to the backing plate. The rear one has short bolts fitted from the back and secured on the visible side with chrome acorn nuts at all four corners.

The front has longer bolts, also fitted from the rear of the plate in the same configuration. The plate is secured by regular nuts, then there is a perspex cover the same size as the backing plate, which is secured with the acorn nuts through holes that match the corners of the historic plate. This is easily removed to clean the plate and frame.

I'm sure we put a pic of them in Sideplate when they were first run and made available. I'll see if I can find that, or take a new pic. I'm sure that's worth these thousand words!

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 07:40:36 PM »

Hi Vern I got some aluminium plates made the same size as the old black and yellow plates and then I used the original Holden number plate surrounds. You can buy a reproduction of the Holden surrounds from Rares. Yes Peter Jackson sold his company quite a few years ago. He used to do these special sorts of small run jobs.
Cheers
Graham
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »

Found a pic that shows the front one quite clearly. (The photo was taken during the trip from Sydney to Hobart, so it's not as clean as it could be.)

For what it's worth PJ was making these long after his involvement in OARC ended, at his place in Berkshire Park.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »

Don't get me started on these horrible excuses for number plates on our lovley cars, it must have been 4pm on the Friday of a long weekend in the design department.

It could not be for ease of recognition by police as they have technology to pick up plates in their cars.

Let owners display or reorder their original plates
The modified cars have to wear fork lift plates!

Anyhow, here's my effort...

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 11:23:43 PM »

If you just want to place covers on the club plates, they can be bought on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NSW-HISTORIC-VEHICLE-NUMBER-PLATE-COVERS-OPTICALLY-CLEAR-ACRYLIC/254424036432?hash=item3b3cdab450:g:gKsAAOSwz~paD9ia
Local supplier also.
Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: