FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Horn wiring connection on a 59 FC wagon.  (Read 6090 times)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 11:17:33 AM »

Horn circuit is earth switched as you say John, so if you take apart the connector at the bottom of the steering column and earth the wire, the horn will blow.

Ken
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 12:55:00 PM »

I have plenty of spare metal discs if you need one. They are flat I reckon, spring steel, and they convex against the wheel centre when pushed by the bakelite spacer.

You checked earth to the column bolt. Check to the wheel centre. May be some resistance in between causing enough voltage drop to cause a problem, specially if the points inside the horn are dirty. Make sure all contact surfaces are nice and shiny bright with some 240 grit emery paper.

These things can be temperamental. I've known them to start working with time for no apparent reason.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Wookie 66
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2021, 01:17:36 PM »

Final follow up on this issue so we can lean from my mistakes

Did I mention I painted my steering wheel about a year ago and it sat on the shelf I figured it out a bit late 
Removed the paint from inside the area where the metal disc sits
That sorted the contact issue out horn now work as it should.

That was the last piece every thing the old girl works ready for rego now. Well until the next thing that stops working for no reason

Thanks to all those who offered up some ideas and trouble shooting advice
Cheers
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: