FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:30:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: collapsible steering column  (Read 13124 times)
weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« on: August 30, 2019, 10:19:34 PM »

I am building a modified FC 219 wagon (grey motor). It currently has Hr disk brake front end, FC standard column a steering box. I will need to install a collapsible steering column in accordance with VBS 14 for engineer approval. What collapsible column and box would be the simplest (and of course cheapest Grin) to adapt for the front end please.

regards
Weddo
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 06:23:23 AM »

I've got the same conundrum... I need a collapsible column for my FB project, but do not want to lose the steering box.

The easiest is probably Commodore. There are quite a few guys who have done Commodore columns onto racks (both front and rear), and the parts are readily available (unlike the old Torana columns which were once flavour of the month). I haven't seen anyone mount one to a steering box though.

Perhaps give George at Alien Retro a call:
21 Floreate Drive Junortoun, VIC 3551
https://www.facebook.com/alienretrocolumns

Almost all the stuff he does ends in a uni joint to suit a rack, though he does do a Falcon steering box unit:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/alienretrocolumns/photos/?tab=album&album_id=794472620600477&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAQtdrwX8925c7Xb7NUuvJIw39ed4KubHOTfztld5R4lQY5ZGrg9_0dzjSiMGlCc5kls62hb6UmYf4iGtpL1duNMretX0S_gK_MVpYURVc9vTcyriEJUe7s_kD3qryx3-Fq1KS-5nm6Zt1K71n95HI2uYnRZx8LwjhIwX2Pz5qPs7DAsrj_dofkvH7Cww_wAjLdsJVarW8nDMb1uy4GaYekN7kl7TzA-BhG7m7cDXri3_5Bw3qAgyBJSGcKOqMjN7AAlAsG0a0_cZCI3kRWuYTxaBt0RGGnqEju7h52EDTdiQKHL57B4DsxwL5BQNAFBt5P7aGdXaTOVRDzik-c0jW1vA&__tn__=-UC-R

Let us know how you go.

Cheers,
Harv
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 06:27:21 AM »

The usual way is to install a cut down steering rack and the column just bolts up to it. Plenty of options for type that could be used.
Since you don’t have to change the steering box, you could consider having the steering column cut down to resemble a HK steering box and fit a universal to it.
A HK steering box itself won’t bolt up to the body.
Ken
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »

Ken seems positive the HKTG steering box doesn’t fit. I have been told they fit with some playing around and a redundant mounting lug. Maybe worth a try if you can get hold of one to try out although they aren’t cheap these days. They are common in 20:1 ratio which may be of interest if running wide tyres up front.

Found this photo on gumtreeof what looks like the HKTG box mounted to a FE EH modified HR disc front. Can anyone confirm identity of that box?
Link to the add if you’re interested https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coolbinia/brakes-suspension/hr-disk-brake-front-end-to-suit-fe-fc-fb-ek-ej-or-eh-holden/1227235900?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »

I contacted the seller but he doesn’t know what type the box is. I am assuming it was fitted to an early as it has FB EK snout and the mounts look about right, if a little forward. Reworked radiator perhaps.

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 10:01:31 AM »

His ad says it came out of an EH so maybe eh steering box.
Neil
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »

Neil
Not eh Neil it is HKTG pretty sure. Good price with the drop spindles and it’s in your area...
Pity about the brakes

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 10:34:31 AM »

Neil

Methinks EH are a three-lug mounting (that box appears to have four lugs), but I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »

Dave “S pac” on the Torana forum has identified it as HKTG.
FE to HR all are three lug and bolt up to each other’s subframes. Just because it is on a HR front doesn’t mean they bolt up, but anyone tried it (Ken)?

20:1 steering ratio and collapsible column (with mods and no doubt engineering) could be pretty handy. Some people are not keen on the rack and pinion upgrade and this may be an alternative.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »

There is a couple on gumtree in qld for $50 each https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bracken-ridge/brakes-suspension/holden-hk-ht-hg-steering-boxes/1227279776?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 07:52:10 PM »

Yes I have tried it. When the HKTG box is lined up so that the pitman arm is in line with the idler arm with 2 bolts in place, the third bolt wants to go right through the edge of the subframe. The 4th bolt isn’t on the subframe. So yes, if you cut up the subframe a bit and extend it out and put a crush tube in, it will fit.
When I did one of these at Hoppers Stoppers we started with a stock box and made in look like a HKTG one. From memory there was a top bearing or seal which was added and the shaft had a flat milled into it to fit the uni joint for the column.
Ken
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 09:07:49 PM »

Thanks Ken,
Modifying a FE to HR box sounds like a tidier way then. It probably isn’t worth butchering the subframe to gain 20:1 ratio. Collapsible column would then be basically same job as for rack.
Cheers
Clay

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »

Yes that would be my opinion. Some people would be happier modifying the subframe and I understand that, because you can keep the steering box stock so that it could be changed later if needed for any reason.
That’s why every modified car is different.  Smiley

Ken
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »

I think I will have a look at what you have suggested Ken I will pull down an FC box tomorrow and see what I need to machine up to connect to a collapsible column.

Cheers Weddo
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »

Question out of ignorance:  is it possible to use an HK-T-G wormshaft and ballnut with an early sector shaft in an early steering column?

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 08:30:59 AM »

Not sure about that one, I’ve never tried.
However, I do know that EH ball race and sector will fit into an early box so maybe there is a chance that it will.
Ken
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »

Saw a couple of the ktg boxes on gumtree for $50 each. Maybe worth grabbing hold of one to play with. If it could be done even with machining. Saves cutting down an original worm and shaft and gets you the 20:1 ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 12:33:39 PM »

Here is something. According to Dr Terry FE to EJ are 14:1 ratio, while EH to HR are 16:1. Considering they all bolt to each other’s subframes (confirmation required), you could use a HR box to cut down for the collapsible column conversion and gain lighter, albeit less direct, steering.

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 04:20:16 PM »

All EJ-HR steering column internals interchange as complete assemblies.  In the 14:1 columns, the wormshaft and nut have a coarser pitch of the worm than the 16:1 columns.  The sector shafts are the same.

Come HK-T-G, the "normal" 20:1 ratio boxes use the same wormshaft pitch as the 16:1 EH-HR columns.  The "fast" 16.7:1 ratio boxes use the same wormshaft pitch as the 14:1 EJ columns.  The HK-T-G sector shafts have an increased effective gear diameter compared with the EJ-HR sector shafts, which accounts for the higher ratio.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 06:38:07 PM »

Any info on steering shaft relative lengths Rob? Sorry if I’m getting off topic but it’s already happened.
I reckon the 16:1 ratio might be a good thing in my van but I would prefer to retain the EK Hydramatic column shift.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: