FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:10:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Electronic distributors  (Read 6689 times)
The holden man

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2019, 08:07:01 PM »

Hi to all out there in fe-fc land, just wanted to share what may be some very useful information, after hunting around for hei distributor options for my cranky grey i came across new small cap hei distributors on ebay to suit the stovebolt chevy sixs, i managed to get my hands on a standard stovebolt dizzy to compare to a grey and was pleasantly suprised that the distance from the oil pump tang to the dizzy drive gear is excacly the same
The holden man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 08:11:58 PM »

The chevy stovebolt dizzy is somewhat taller, but the housing is also the same as a grey where it goes into the block, havnt bought one to try as yet but should work, there is two different type of stovebolt dizzys dependent on year model and cubic capacity, one has a flange to clamp to like a red motor dizzy and the other (235 type) takes a bolt on clamp like our beloved greys
The holden man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 08:17:23 PM »

This then lead me to (gasp) toyota distributors, the 2f and 3f toyota petrol engine is basically a copy of the stovebolt and some of the old school lancruiser guys are using stovebolt hei distributors in their petrol sixs, found on ebay yesterday new 2f electronic distributors for around $80-$100 they are only a low voltage dizzy that still works with a points coil though
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 02:22:42 PM »

. . . except (I thought) that the Chev 6-cylinder distributors have a fixed breaker plate, and vacuum advance is achieved by having the diaphragm rotate the entire distributor body.  Do the replacement distributors have a vacuum advance?

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
The holden man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 06:50:58 PM »

Yes thats how the standard stovebolt dizzys work, the aftermarket hei small and large cap ones that ive come across on ebay have the vac advance built in and dont use the factory chev vac advance/clamp bracket, the large cap version would have no hope of fitting next to the grey sideplate
The holden man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 07:04:06 PM »

http://imgur.com/a/49iC2w0
Aftermarket chev 235 distributor
The holden man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 07:08:53 PM »

http://imgur.com/a/6lDCEpb
Totota 2f electronic distributor,
This however is just and magnetic pick up type much the same as a pertronix setup and uses a points type coil
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 08:21:14 PM »

. . . the original Chev Delco-Remy distributors use the same cap, rotor and condenser as the FX Delco distributors.  But interesting that the aftermarket distributors have a better vacuum advance setup.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 10:48:34 PM »

I would be checking that the gear on the cam and the gear on the distributer are exactly the same cut, any slight difference to either will end with a bad result, you will ruin one or the other.

regards
Weddo
Ronno

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 03:38:19 PM »

I have in the past fitted an AccuSpark conversion (pointless) to a morris minor distributor it worked very well, not sure if they have one to suit a Holden but could be worth a look.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: