FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:48:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: seat belts  (Read 6896 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2019, 08:58:44 PM »

Hi all ..I will expand on my previous request about where to drill B pillar..I have APV lap sash seat belts to fit  ..There is a barrel bolt that fits thru the B pillar ,I have seen these on many cars ,I have never taken a measurement ,what is the correct position to drill through the pillar ,the distance under the rain gutter will do..and if you can advise that this is the correct " legal " - " approved " position for NSW would be appreciated..Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 10:44:57 PM »

Vern
If you are fitting new belts and going for inspection you will need to comply with the current standard. They won’t like the “Frankenstein” top sash bolts. Harv is up on it and will no doubt chime in at any time. Meanwhile here is a link to a thread on the topic on the FB EK site:
Seat belt bolts
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=25355&share_tid=21190&share_pid=212999&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efbekholden%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Fp%3D212999%23p212999&share_type=t

You may need to fit plates with captive nuts inside the B pillars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 07:19:04 AM »

G'day Vern,

If you want to be "legal" in NSW, you will need to visit an approved restraint station and have the belts certified. This is not an engineering inspection, just a certificate for seatbelts. Most people do not bother. I got the belts in the FB certified for peace of mind.

The restraint station may want to do the work themselves - some will not certify the installation work of others. Some may require NCOP or ADR compliance. I have written up how to be NCOP/ADR compliant into a plain-English Guide. If you want a copy, PM me an email address and I will send it to you.

Cheers,
Harv
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »

This is what really annoys me . You do these mods., for decades and then someone in government turns around and decides there is money to be made getting someone to sign off on ,or do this as a real job . I learned many years ago to photograph anything like this as you do the job so you can prove you did it correctly . Otherwise you get some pimply faced kid on work experience doing work on your pride and joy ,just so you have a certificate to show someone behind a desk [that knows absolutely nothing] that you have ticked all the boxes.
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 05:39:31 PM »

Aymen to that .Thanks to Harv ..He is sending me the regs ..I note he has translated into " plain English "..why does he even have to do that !!!!!

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:08:13 AM »

Received the seat belt mounting info from Harv ,it gives me good information ,so thanks Harv ..I went to Auto Fest in Bathurst on Sunday ,it was combined with EJ - EH nationals ..I looked at 13 cars specifically for seat belt mounting "B" pillar mounting position , 4 cars had the same position , 2 cars had the same as each other but different from first 4 ,the remaining 7 cars were all different ..and they varied greatly ,one car was 1.1/4" down from gutter and one was 8" down ,the rest were all in between ..what does that tell you Huh?  also there were no FE or FC's ...cheers Vern 

Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »

Hi Guys,  Have been away in uk for a few months back recently and thinking about fitting lap sash seat belts in the ute wife would be a lot happier when we go for a run. ( appreciate it’s a slightly different scenario from Vern’s)
Noticed the above thread posted by Vern about placement of bolts through pillar ( don’t like the thought of drilling the pillar) what about locating the top bolt behind the seat around the junction of the parcel shelf,door pillar area? Lifted up the parcel linning and had a look it looks like the area could be utilised and you would have a chance of locating a large washer from inside the ute tray after drilling bolt holes. Any thoughts ? may have already been done by a ute owner ! 
Also a post script. I posted a thread about fuel level in fuel pump a few months back got some great advise and followed up but alas still had problems!!!
Eventually found problem !! fuel needle in guage, when it shows three quarter full the tank is actually nearly empty. When you fill her up the needle goes way beyond the f for full. Maybe I can alter/bend fuel sender arm in fuel tank.
Cheers Peter
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »

Snoop,
I’ve had the same thought with the seat belts for my ute, however another alternative with utes is to fit a nut welded to reinforcing plate from inside the b-pillar. You need to remove head lining from the b pillar area to gain access, which can be off putting if you don’t have the rear window out. My car is an FB ute but same structure, although trim fitment may differ. With the trim removed you can slip the plate in from the rear and possibly pop rivet in place. I have seen the plate pop riveted in position. Once the belt is fitted the rivets carry no load. They are just for locating prior to fitment.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »

I've seen someone put a retractor reel on a ute parcel shelf not that long ago. Can't find the photos though.

I reckon the B-pillar trim should come off OK. It's only stuck on by a small amount of glue. Peel it slowly from the bottom, then do the captive nut trick.

Cheers,
Harv
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 10:10:50 AM »

Hey Snoop not sure if you are also on the fb ek forum if so have a look at my Ute build 'Neil's Frankenstein Ute'
I can't find the photos at the moment but I put photos in my build, Clay is spot on and this is what I did except I plug welded the plate inside the B pillar.
You can buy the plates on eBay and not a bad price.
Also in my fc sedan I put the inertia reels for the back seat belts on the rear parcel shelf just make sure you get reels that operate at that angle I got mine from Hemco (not sure if that is the right name) they are in Ballarat.
You also have to put a plate underneath the reels to be compliant.
Neil
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 05:08:31 PM »

Thanks guys for all the tips and leads and taking the time and trouble to help out much appreciated.
Will keep you posted on progress.
Cheers Peter.
59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »

fuel needle in guage, when it shows three quarter full the tank is actually nearly empty. When you fill her up the needle goes way beyond the f for full. Maybe I can alter/bend fuel sender arm in fuel tank.

Hi Peter.  Yes, I'd start with the fuel sender unit. Once removed from the tank, and before bending the arm, I'd check it's working correctly by having a look at what the gauge is reading with the arm in the fully down position, and then in the fully raised position.

If it's reading correctly, then yes, arm bending may be required if there's nothing visibly out of the ordinary (eg. a strange float setup). 

If it's still showing 3/4 full in the lowest position, then the cause could be a few things such as the sender internals being damaged, or the arm semi-seized so that it doesn't drop as far as it should, or the gauge itself.  There's a few ways to check whether the fault is in the sender unit or gauge.  Let us know if you get stuck.

Cheers,

John
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 04:49:33 PM »

Thanks John for that additional information I’ll take the sender out and have a close inspection of it.
Cheers Peter.
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 10:05:40 AM »

Here you go Vern ...... certified bargain for the DIY'er.
How can you go wrong with these compatibility notes?

AU $39.99
Free post from Sydney.

Dave
0417 270 315
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2020, 04:15:04 PM »

I think i'd buy them Dave if they come with face mask's and gallon of sanitiser ..how can they even be offered in Australia ,

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »

Just like some kids toys, until someone comes to grief & it attracts media attention, there's no issue.

Dave
0417 270 315
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: