FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:46:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sentimental value  (Read 2432 times)
HARKO
« on: August 12, 2003, 06:46:18 AM »

If either of these two unusual dramas have happened to anyone on the forum before - please speak up because its the first Ive heard of both of them.

So I was in the swap meet area for the weekend at the All Holden Day and "As you do" punters were trying to buy everything you have with you (Sausages, Trailer, CDs, and the car I was driving - My trusty FB wagon)
When the offer came "Are you interested in selling your car mate"     I replied "In a month or two"

So on the trip home I hit the brakes hard and split a brake drum almost in half, Made a quick fix at the side of the road and was on my way again only to get to the bottom of Mt Ousely with the rear wheel (brakes) nearly on fire , So a quick fix saw me on the road again but the strange whining noise wouldnt let up .
So whilst going through the pro fix motions at home I loosened the wheel bearings to find the opposite side to the brake problem had broken the split pin ,removed the small locating tounge off the washer and spun the bearing up that tight it destroyed the Stub axle and melted the casings of the bearing.
Never seen this or these happen before and maybe just maybe the old girl was trying to tell me something   Embarrassed
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 07:23:44 AM »

Hi guys,
I've seen this many times as an appretice mechanic.  Working for a Brake  & Clutch firm, we sold many brakeshoes & wheel cylinders over the counter, & it was mainly the backyarders that stuffed up by re-using the old split pin, not using the correct size split pin, not 'spliting' the pin correctly or using a nail or wire.
For the sake of a couple cents (& your LIFE) its always wise to replace split pins. We also washed,inspected an re-greased wheel bearing EVERY TIME front brakes were replaced.

Regards
                Seb     Smiley

Yellow Knight

Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 09:17:49 AM »

Harko
I thing the old girl is just getting even for thinking about selling her Roll Eyes, In a month or two she will cost you big time. Tongue
Have a few drinks and go tell her you didn't mean it and she is not for sale. Cry
Might work,or it could be just the dodgy split pin, personally I prefer to think my car has some personality Cool
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 09:56:15 AM »

Maybe she was telling you it was her turn to sit in the lounge she was carting around .And an FC lounge to boot .

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 01:41:34 PM »

Harko , Harko ............
    The old girl is trying to tell you something , "don't do it to me"  Grin , she was trying to "stick it up ya"  but.... she did make it home safe ...(just).  Ya got to have a "spare" so you don't wear the FC's out ... Roll Eyes Failing that , do as Slim says  Lips sealed
  Norm

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 01:45:57 AM »

Ditto to what Seb said, it doesn't take a lot of time to clean, regrease & get the right preload on the bearings  then use a decent split pin.
Opposite to what the majority are saying - you could always threaten to sell early!
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: