FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:33:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fc wont run properly  (Read 4851 times)
twitch

cant go past an FC

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2003, 06:57:57 AM »

i have just put a rebuilt grey motor into my fc and it isnt running properly Angry it has been fully worked, it got a mild cam, new everything etc etc. and is running twin strombergs. the carbies leak fuel still after taking them to a mechanic and it still doesn't idle properly, cause when driving up to an intersection the car stalls. carbies have been re-conditioned. can anyone help me fix the car???

FC's rule
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 08:37:15 AM »

Twitch
I would seriously look at get a second opinion on the carbies before all you have left is a burnt out FC shell. If they leak fuel and have been reconditioned I hate to say it but it sounds like a bodgy job.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 11:27:43 AM »

Twitch,
Make sure carby size, jet size & settings are the same in both carbies. You should be able to get engine running sweetly . Definitely no fuel leaks. Make sure float level is'nt too high. Don't go overboard with jet sizes. Have fun fiddling & get yourself a fire extinguisher, a must with multiple carbies.
Colin

colt
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 01:08:37 PM »

Check that the float does ' float' and not sink to the bottom of the floatbowl. The float can develope pin holes causing the inside of the float to fill with fuel. Remove the float & gently shake it to determine if it has fuel in it & as a 2nd test place the float in a container of fuel an see if it does float or partically sink. Also check the needle & seat for wear or dirt.  As a general rule the fuel level should be at or just above the float pin pivot,(maybe slightly higher for performance motors).
Also make sure the float is free to move and not touch the sides of the floatbowl.
REGARDS   SEB

Yellow Knight

fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 01:16:35 PM »

I assume you are running a std f/pump or a correct type electric pump. Hope this helps you out.
Regards
              Seb Smiley

Yellow Knight

Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 09:03:51 PM »

I had the same problem with a set of twins on a red motor. Both carbs had been rebuilt with major overhaul kits but the front carb kept flooding and leaking fuel. After several stripdowns and checking of floats, fuel levels, dirt in the new needle etc and finding nothing, I replaced the new and perfect looking needle and seats with some more new ones and that fixed the problem. It would appear that some new needle and seats despite looking and testing ok just won't work.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 09:06:09 PM »

Hi Twitch.
When I spoke to you last, you had an issue with the fuel pump. I am not sure if you rebuilt it or got a new one, but as Seb just pointed out, it may be an issue with the fuel pump too. If you have bunged an electric one on there, make sure it isn't pumping too much pressure.
Which "mechanic" (or Muckanic!!) did you take it to. I will try & avoid them if they didn't fix that for you.
If stuck, give me a call & we can organise for you to bring it around & I can have a gander (don't forget the fire extinguisher!!)
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
twitch

cant go past an FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2003, 04:35:08 AM »

i have an electric fuel pump, not sure what one as an auto electrian put it in.

and rob its shannon from the car club

FC's rule
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2003, 02:41:00 AM »

Hi Shannon.
Yes mate, I knew it was you, I was just keeping up the "Incognito" thing!! You may want to check with the guy who installed it, as I reckon that is part of the problem.
Talk to you soon.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 06:26:45 AM »

Twitch
Make sure that the dissy isn't one tooth out , if ok then set ign timing slightly advanced. A good grey should run like a clock.

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: