FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:40:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tailgate questions  (Read 8090 times)
fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »

Hey guys. Hopefully someone can help me out. I have quite a few questions regarding some info for the panelvan/wagon tailgates. I have tried to get as much info off this and the fb/ek sites but couldn't find it.
I have had the lower part of my upper tailgate remade and a new skin made for the lower tailgate. Everything has been made as per originals but I noticed a few possible problems and am getting it fixed but I need some more detailed info. I have a rare spares lower tailgate seal.

I have read that the seals on the tailgate are poor but what have wagon/van owners done to fix the bad sealing issues? 

What are the holes at each end of the seal for? Is it just to let the rubber flex/squish a bit more?

Looking at the photos it looks like the lower tailgate sits with an even margin showing to the bottom of the upper tailgate. Attached is a pic of an example found on here and how mine sits. The lower part of my upper tailgate is an even measurement all the way along but because its tilted forward on the body opening the centre rolls up and makes it a little higher . Hard to explain but you should be able to make it out in the pics. Is this normal and just hard to see in posted pics?

If anyone has a lower tailgate handy could they please get a measurement off the top edge of the tailgate to the top of the seal holding lip. Does it stay parallel to the top. Mine has been welded on so it dips in the centre so the seal isnt sitting parallel to the top edge of the tailgate. Think this needs to get fixed.

Both tailgates are curved left to right.Should the upper tailgate and the steel seal holder/groove on the lower tailgate follow the same curve/shape. When I don't have the rubber installed and close the lower tailgate over the upper the top edge of the lower tailgate has an even gap to the upper. However the seal holder/groove is touching on the ends and theres a 8 mm gap in the centre. Is this why they leak?
My local rare spares shop said they saw a wagon that had daylight in the centre so maybe they"re all like that?

Theres also a recess/relief in the centre of the backside of the tailgate which relieves the pressure on the seal so this doesn't help things either.You can see this area clearly in this pic. Was thinking maybe putting a rubber behing the seal in this area to make it tighter when closed?

Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone can shed some more light on this with info/ pics, thanks again.

Miikael
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:37:14 PM »

Not much help but by the way vans are quite different, the upper gate closing over the lower.
Quite handy for cruising with the gate up like a spoiler with the added benefit of exhaust gas being sucked back in to the car. Cough, head spins, good Sh€t man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:13:48 AM »

The way it should have been done. They must have realized how stupid an idea it was for the lower to go over the upper for water issues   Roll Eyes
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 09:00:04 AM »

My old van had 20,000 miles on the clock when I found it stored under a house in Brisbane . It had perfect rubbers and alignment and always leaked . I also have spare upper and lower tailgates . Problem is that its the lower tailgate seal retainer [lip] that suffers, then into the spare tyre compartment . Cheers Haydn
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 09:53:52 AM »

Old Holdens sure ain't submarines. The solution seems to be to ensure everything is thoroughly protected against corrosion, meticulous attention to drainage, always store under cover and only drive in the summer!

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »

I think that picture is a ute with a canopy on it
They didn't fix the issue till EJ and having owned an EH wagon I recall that even that leaked
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 06:32:20 PM »

It is an EK panelvan

fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »

Any idea where they were leaking from? The centre or ends?
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 08:02:17 PM »

I think that picture is a ute with a canopy on it
They didn't fix the issue till EJ and having owned an EH wagon I recall that even that leaked

I think the FB/EK vans had a totally different tailgate setup to the wagons. Looking at the pictures of this vehicle on Shannons Auctions, it seems the van upper tailgate has its own separate striker plates and presumably the lower tailgate lever is on the inside like a ute.

Of course in the FE-FC range, the tailgates for van and wagon are the same.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 08:31:27 PM »

You're right of course. The original post asks about wagon and van tailgates and shows an image of an FB EK wagon. Having an EK van I wanted to make the distinction.

Thanks for posting that link by the way. Nice looking van for $9k particularly if it's relatively rust free. Looks very similar to what mine would have looked like minus all the rust. Honey beige by the looks. Funny spot for the temp gauge and running a throttle cable setup.

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:17:46 PM »

my mistake didn't have a close enough look
Not sure if it helps but here are some pics of an FE van upper and lower gates plus a hinge rubber
this van has been undercover for years but it would probably leak like a sieve

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 05:47:44 PM »

In my opinion Holden actually took a backward step with the FC wagon seals.
The FE had a seal as shown by Gary on the upper gate which was quite effective when the rubber is good and flexible. Couple this with the lower seal and it was very good.
My FE van did not leak at all after restoration.

Ken

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 07:32:28 PM »

In my opinion Holden actually took a backward step with the FC wagon seals.

There, fixed that for you Cheesy

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Rabbitoh
vic-club

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »

Well edited RET!

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2024?
old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 05:47:11 PM »

My guess is that the FC tailgate " was designed to leak"! That's how I live with the frustration anyhow!  old-blu 

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »

This is not the most attractive fix but here is a pic of an FC panel van upper tailgate, the strip of rubber has just been stuck on

Lower gate of same vehicle

If you're planning something a bit on the wild side I have seen the occasional welded together job with gas struts
fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »

Thanks for the help fellas. We've played around with the shape and profile of the groove that holds the lower tailgate seal. Getting a good even pressure on the seal all the way along so will just have to see how it goes. The extra rubber on upper gate may be an option if needed. Zulu, haven't seen those hinge seals before. Can they be bought new anywhere?
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »

Hi fcvan

not sure where the image came from origionaly I dont think it's one of mine

Have checked my cars and none of them have them fitted so I don't think they are available or even if they are FE FC

Gary
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »

The image is from me, I have a few of these salvaged from FC wagons. I will look up the part number.
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: