FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:12:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 10438 times)
JOX515
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2016, 09:34:44 PM »

G'day all,

Unfortunately, and against my better judgement (not to mention the very personal attachment to this car), JOX may have to go on the market.

My question is:  The car is modified and has been for some time now, so should I go to the trouble of getting it properly engineered and documented in the event I need to sell it?

Cheers, Graeme
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »

Well you can leave it at my place for a while till you make your mind up! At least you know I'll take care of it...
But it was your grandads car- why the sale?

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:12:34 AM »

What the ??  Huh Huh  Graeme why the sale, like Nes said that beautiful car has been your family for years.    I hope you can keep you pride and joy. It would be a very sad day if you have to sell..
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:17:05 AM »

Things are turning to shit at work, redundancies happening, not sure what my job situation will be. At my age it will be hard to get another job and there is no point having toys if you can't afford to play with them and maintain them. Yes, it is my grandfathers car, been in the family since 1960 and I am the third owner and have had the car as my own since 1986, so it will be very difficult to sell it....

I am hoping like hell I don't have to sell it, but am expecting the worst at work, hence the question about getting it properly engineered and documented.  Hopefully that will make it easier to sell if and when the time comes.
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »

Hi Graeme
Sorry to here that you may have to sell JOX but in my opinion if you are going to sell you should have your mods engineered.

If I was to be in the market I would take an engineered car over one that is not. I'm sure that you have done the mods properly but the perception of somebody that may not know is that maybe there is something dodgy and that may put them off.

Again sorry to here things are a bit crook, things are very quite here in WA as well I am just lucky that I am in an industry that is ok at the moment.

Regards
Neil H
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »

Graeme,
I know exactly what you mean about wanting to work when the years advance. No employer wants to admit age is a problem to them, but despite what any politician says, you can't even get insurance to work for yourself.
Regardless, I reckon hang in there for a while before you decide to sell. Having it engineered is probably a good idea for years down the track, and you won't have to worry about it if/when. Something will turn up work wise & it may even be better in some ways, and could leave some extra quality time to enjoy JOX without necessarily spending much. Who knows what may come after the election.

Dave
0417 270 315
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 05:21:13 PM »

Thanks guys  Smiley 

I guess spending some money now to properly engineer the car is the way to go.....  Have fingers crossed that I won't have to sell.

You are right about us very mature age workers DJ, the pollies have no idea what it is like in the real world, and a lot of the time, employers don't want to know us either.
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 05:58:48 PM »

Yes, applications don't ask your religion anymore but your DOB is still essential. Try inserting 'somewhere between 50 & death'.
Hope the engineering is quick & painless for you.

Dave
0417 270 315
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »

G'day Graeme,

Sad that you may have to sell the vehicle - wishing you good luck with the job front.

For the engineering, I'd suggest it depends on how close you are to being "compliant" with the changes you have. Engineering can be very costly (NSW is around $2500), and if the engineer gets fussy then the process can get out of hand pretty quick.
a) if the changes are only relatively minor (say a gearbox swap), and the car has been passing rego then I would likely leave it as it is. Most buyers would likely accept that the car has been "grandfathered", at least by custom and practice.
b) if the changes are more significant (say a red motor or ball joint front end change) then you are in a grey area. The engineer could ask for full NCOP compliance, or some form of their own wishlist... collapsible steering column, demister, two speed wipers, exterior mirror, seatbelts, ventilated discs, split circuit brakes etc. The costs could be more than you would recover in additional sale price. You can shop around for an engineer (at least in NSW), and potentially find one whose risk appetite matches the $ you want to spend.
c) if the changes are more radical (V8, V6, significant brake changes etc) or if the car is close to compliance, then there would be a fairly likely advantage in having an engineering certificate. Without one, you would be targeting an "unfinished project" buyer, whilst with engineering you are targeting a "compelted project" buyer.

Cheers,
Harv
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 09:27:55 PM »

G'day Harv,

Thanks for the input mate.

I was very careful when building the wagon as I wanted to be able to drive it anywhere anytime.  It has an RB30 motor, auto, diff (narrowed by a professional diff builder), HR front end (completely rebuilt with new ball joints, steering, etc) HQ stubs, ventilated disks, dual circuit brakes (complete braking system came from the donor VL), collapsible steering, seatbelts fitted with the correct mounting plates, two speed wiper/washer, heater with demister and variable speed fan, external rear view mirrors, everything new and the list goes on. 

I haven't fitted a chassis kit as yet, but it is on the to do list if needed.

The car has been on the road like this for the past 2 years, clocked up around 15,000 klms and given no trouble at all - no movement in the body at all, door gaps as they were when car was re-assembled. 

I have tried to keep the car build as close as possible to the national guidelines, so hopefully if anything is picked up it will be "minor".

I was given the name of an engineer here in Ballarat, so will chase him up in the next couple of days.

I am hoping like hell that it won't come to selling the car.....

Cheers, Graeme
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 10:04:33 PM »

Makes me wonder what the insurance company would cover in the event of a crash

I'd recommend talking to an engineer and finding out if the cost is acceptable and go from there

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 06:42:54 AM »

G'day Harv,

Thanks for the input mate.

I was very careful when building the wagon as I wanted to be able to drive it anywhere anytime.  It has an RB30 motor, auto, diff (narrowed by a professional diff builder), HR front end (completely rebuilt with new ball joints, steering, etc) HQ stubs, ventilated disks, dual circuit brakes (complete braking system came from the donor VL), collapsible steering, seatbelts fitted with the correct mounting plates, two speed wiper/washer, heater with demister and variable speed fan, external rear view mirrors, everything new and the list goes on. 

I haven't fitted a chassis kit as yet, but it is on the to do list if needed.

The car has been on the road like this for the past 2 years, clocked up around 15,000 klms and given no trouble at all - no movement in the body at all, door gaps as they were when car was re-assembled. 

I have tried to keep the car build as close as possible to the national guidelines, so hopefully if anything is picked up it will be "minor".

I was given the name of an engineer here in Ballarat, so will chase him up in the next couple of days.

I am hoping like hell that it won't come to selling the car.....

Cheers, Graeme

That's a heap of work Graeme, and sounds damn close to the Guidelines. If it was mine, I'd try getting it engineered. Wonder what additional work the engineer would ask for to put the words "acceptable to add turbo" onto the certificate?  Grin

Cheers,
Harv
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 05:59:51 PM »

Graeme, I really recommend getting the car compliant even if you can keep it (I certainly hope you do).
The way the roads are now with unlicensed drivers with unregistered and uninsured cars, the last thing you need is your insurance company giving you grief about modifications that are not certificated.

Just my opinion

Ken
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 06:58:41 PM »

l think ken is right

Some insurance companies will try and find any excuse not to pay, even when its  not your fault at all
 l had mine done in ballarat where you are graeme , it was pretty basic with red motor ,hr front end , seat belts
 and two speed wipers
 cost me about $500 with two inspections but well worth it for the peace of mind

greg
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 01:29:16 AM »

Then sell the modern car keeping what means most to you.

Phone +64 223509263
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 01:30:56 AM »

Don't sell it the money will be long gone when the regret is still sinking in.  In tough times you would still be able to go outside admire and  smile Grin at your pride and joy. It's not over yet enjoy.

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 02:03:54 PM »

I agree with what you say collecta.  Sale will be a last resort thing, just trying to be prepared.

JB, my "daily driver" is not worth selling - 20 year old car with a brand name starting with F.....

JOX is now booked in with an engineer for next week  Smiley
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »

Wise choice.  And yep, Fiats aren't worth a brass razoo.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »

pmsl, spinner  Grin
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304