FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 04:13:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door TRim backing material  (Read 2511 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: July 18, 2003, 11:12:01 AM »

The door trims that came with the interior that I bought are in good nick, but the backings/boards are either busted around the mounting holes or warped or the vinyl has come away.

1. What is a good material to use for the backings? Is thin MDF OK?

2. What is a good glue to use to stick the vinyl cover back on to the boards?

3. Am I better off taking it to a trimmer?

craiga
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 11:22:11 AM »

Stinky,

I purchased new trim board at a wholesaler who supplies trimmers, under $20.00 for a 2m x 1m sheet.

Company is called Daleys at Villawood Sydney.

You can purchase a 3M product called TRIM ADHESIVE in a spray can at most auto parts shops.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 11:23:20 AM by craiga » Logged
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 07:55:57 AM »

Stinky

I've just made up some new door trims for my ute and did a little research in the area.  You have to be careful using MDF due to its subseptibility to deformation when wet.  Therefore using it around areas that get wet (like the inside of a door is no good).  I looked at Trim Card and was told that while it is a good product, white masonite is a lot more durable and better suited overall.  Its cheap and is available at any hardware.  It has a grain that makes it more flexible in one direction than the other.  On the front doors of FE/FC's you need to make sure that you cut the sheet so that the direction of most flexibility suits the curve of the door.  Also, you need to keep the white side of the trim facing the door to assist with waterproofing the trim.  Only thing is, it's slightly thicker that original trim panels, something to consider if using the original skins (the trim card is thinner).

Hope this helps - Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 08:03:17 AM »

Stiky

I didn't read your post properly so I will answer your ohter questions.  The glue that I have always used for this is Laminex 440 contact adhesive but most contact adhesives will be fine.  You can spray it using a HVLP gun but its not all that easy to get the gun clean afterwards.  I use a comb applicatior to apply advesive to both surfaces and this works quite well.  I reakon you ought to give it a go yourself, its not hard, just make sure that you take plenty of time using the old trims as a template and make the new trims as exact as possible.
Chuck  

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 10:42:54 AM »

Thanks Craig and Chuck.
I got the Melamine and Contact Adhesive on Friday.
Got some "Diggers - Glue Rid" to clean up the trims before re-glueing too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: