FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:59:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor Rebuild  (Read 5916 times)
DaveG

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2015, 05:18:14 PM »

Hi Guys, Just wondering if anyone can recommend someone in SA to rebuild a grey motor?
It is using a bit of water and it's not in the oil or on outside of motor so I assume head gasket or head.
While the motor is out I thought a freshen up wouldn't hurt as it hasn't had any work done since 1958 other than service.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
DCE80
sa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »

Hi Dave
I've just had a head rebuilt by JH Southcott, Holder St Richmond. Gordon is the guy running the workshop, nice chap. Very happy with my experience with them. Work is all done onsite. I will be using them again next year for my short motor rebuild. When I picked up the head someone had just dropped a grey block in with a Duggan head plate attached to it. They have a website and I don't believe they are anything to do with the Southcott/GEM franchise.

Daniel
GreyFC

Model: other Holden

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »

Duggan or Dunstin?  Duggan was in the red motor.

DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:51:31 AM »

Yeah my bad, it was definitely Dunstan. Been bit of talk on the FaceBook grey motor page of late. Few pics were posted.
DaveG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »

Thanks for the info Daniel, I'll definitely give them a try.
Did you get the valves etc. done to suit unleaded?

Cheers
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:03:58 PM »

PM sent.
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 11:34:14 PM »

I didn't have the hardened seats done as I'd be lucky to put three tanks of fuel through the old girl in a year. Decided to keep the cash aside for the tired bottom end and continue with additive. Did plenty of research on the subject, seems to me its a case by case decision. Head currently installed has likely had no love from the additive over the last 10000 kms. Compression test showed no ill effects. If I was using it regularly I would of had the work done. Plenty of info in the forum to read through on the subject. Hopefully you don't turn up any costly surprises when you have the work done.
Daniel
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:49:30 PM »

To clarify last post. I have done about 1000mile with additive since I bought the car. Most of that was the drive from Sydney to Adelaide when purchased. The previous owner of 8 years would not have had the foggiest about additive.
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 06:24:30 AM »

For what it's worth, I reckon the greys have no issue with valve seat recession. Most run happily with no fuel additive, and show no ill effects. I've never seen anyone who has pulled down a grey to find the valves recessed from lack of lubrication. I ran mine as a daily for three years (mix of Sydney traffic, highway and towing) with no additive, and no evidence at all of any harm when I pulled the head.

Cheers,
Harv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: