FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:39:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fc ute @lone star body shop  (Read 55602 times)
Turns

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2015, 10:09:28 PM »
+1

We don't often work on FC Holdens and seeming as Waynos owns one, he thought he would post some pics for all of you FE/FC enthusiasts. As a team, we hope that the pics and sharing of knowledge will help some person building a car at home in some way.

I have a few pics in my phone that I thought might give Wayno's thread a bit more content - I will try not to repeat stuff.

After the rear floor graft from the panel van the rear of the ute needed to be addressed. This is where I started

I cut the panels off that bookend the spare wheel door under the tailgate and they were crud

First job was to rebuild the inner sheet metal - layer by layer 

The outer panels that were cut off were fairly rusty and had to be remade

The inners were coated in super etch and the outer panels were welded back in. The spare wheel door was mocked up to ensure good panel gaps / fit of the new pieces

The spare wheel door needed some repairs to the lower edge due to rust and also the client requested that a stainless hinge be fitted. I got the repairs ready and Waynos TIG welded the new piece in. The stainless hinge and reinforcement pieces for the door were spot welded.

This pic of the TIG weld and small HAZ

Greatness and madness are next door neighbours and they borrow each other's sugar - Joe Rogan
Turns

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2015, 10:32:09 PM »
+1

On the rear of the quarter panels there are some metal strips that hold a splash gasket between the quarter and the bumper bar. This is the good side before it was tidied up

The passenger side needed replacing and would be fiddly  Roll Eyes. The quarter needed some attention before the new piece was fitted

A simple 90 degree fold was made and the angle was shaped to match he quarter in the shrinker/stretcher

Made oversize to be cut down

The edge was tipped over and spot welded to the quarter panel for another lifetime of duty

The front subframe needed some attention due to rust

Replacement parts needed to be fabricated

There is a lot going on in this part that insists on accuracy ie bumper bar mounts, sway bar mounts etc

It can be hard to assess what is what on 50 year old cars due to rust  Shocked

One of the subframes' lower legs needed some attention also due to rust

Greatness and madness are next door neighbours and they borrow each other's sugar - Joe Rogan
Turns

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »
+1

This is the crush tube piece that I have cut out for the repair - this is a structural area remember. I am sure there are lots of cars out there getting around with these sort of rust issues

New parts were fabricated to repair the area - the crush tubes have been discussed elsewhere

There was still rust in some sheet metal situated below the radiator

A cardboard template was made

A panel was fabricated and shaped to fit

Always a crap photo but this shows the insides of this repair getting a squirt of super etch to minimise future issues

Another piece was made that had some bead detail. The OEM 'nutserts' were reused and spot welded to the new panel repair

And all fizzed in

These pics don't show the work to the subframe after these repairs were made. Lots of small dents were fixed

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2015, 11:07:54 PM »

Great stuff guys, it is great to see how much is being done and the quality of the work is fantastic. Keep the photos coming and don't worry about some of the negative comments, as you can see, most of us DO enjoy what is being done and look forward to seeing the progress.
Regards,
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2015, 11:15:53 PM »

I totally agree. It is great to see the skill involved in close up detail. I for one fully appreciate the time and effort being put into this build.

If I were the owner I would be very happy to see these progress pictures.

Keep up the good work and please continue the pics through to the finish.

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2015, 12:50:08 AM »

That's serious stuff in those shots. I'd hate to think how long it would take me to fabricate some of the pieces, and how many attempts I'd need before it was good enough.
Thanks for sharing the approach to each repair & the end result.

Dave
0417 270 315
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2015, 12:51:04 PM »
+2

Welcome aboard, Turns. That's some bloody impressive work. Thanks for sharing it.

To everyone else: the comments that were the source of some angst have been removed. Let's hear no more about it.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2015, 09:37:39 PM »

Yes  please keep this thread going with all the Photos, helps with motivation to finish mine, great work
Gordon
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »

Great body work, I have the Seals for the body to bumper if you required.
Cheers
John

Better in Green
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2015, 02:41:48 PM »

You guys should seriously consider making some of these rust repair panel for sale I would definetly be interested in the inner tray panels

Please keep the photos coming as the other guys have said.
Regards
Neil H
detective

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
+1

...waynos  ..  i tip my hat to your outstanding work...i own the 5th oldest "surviving" Holden (48-215 FX body number 149) which is totally knackered, and up until now thought that she would've been unrepairable...

...now i can see by your skills.. that's just not the case.  I may have to look you up for advice and a possible appraisal of her....thanks for the great thread....cheers from Phil
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2015, 07:07:02 PM »

I can't take credit for any of the work.We are a team and I am just lucky enough to be working with some highly skilled hotrodders, that really love what they do, I'm just  the apprentice really,learning everyday, trying to be a better car builder.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:21:54 PM by waynos » Logged

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Longman

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2015, 07:55:18 PM »

That's some remarkable work guys. Was there ever a point where you considered just buying a better subframe?  Just curious, I like a challenge myself.
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2015, 08:51:12 PM »

It was good to meet Gary (Zulu) today. He cruised down to our workshop in this nice Panelvan.

Wish I wasn't so busy.would have liked to have chatted more.

waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »

That's some remarkable work guys. Was there ever a point where you considered just buying a better subframe?  Just curious, I like a challenge myself.
the one being repaired in the pics,
was a better subframe that was sourced by the owner,
can you imagine how bad the original was?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:03:35 PM by waynos » Logged

waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2015, 09:27:34 PM »

Great body work, I have the Seals for the body to bumper if you required.
Cheers
John

thanks i will tell steve the owner

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:21 PM »

It was great to meet you too Waynos and the rest of the Metal Whisperers team, Stuart & Turns

After doing a mini grand tour with Stuart I was amazed to see some of the other projects in the works and the extent of the repairs being undertaken

Certainly an eye popper and well worth the visit

Regards, Gary
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »

what Neil said.
Love the photos
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
lonestar395

Model: something else...

Sheet Metal Whisperer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2015, 09:49:23 PM »

As a new member here, I should introduce myself as Stuart, and part of the team responsible for the restoration of the FC Ute being discussed in this thread.
I don't own an FE or FC, nor do I have any allegiance to any specific make...I just like interesting old cars.
My background was in collision repair and always had an acute interest in shaping metal.

The owner of the Ute (Steve) recently delivered the doors and tailgate down to the workshop for repairs, Waynos has been working with the doors to align/adjust fit and refine door gaps, then lower door skins were wheeled and edges tipped, and they are a work in progress...we are waiting for the door frames to be abrasive blasted and epoxy primed. Meanwhile the tailgate was assessed and we decided to re-work the frame by replacing the inner face with new metal that we worked in the Pullmax and Turns is making a jig to assist in alignment when we weld the old to the new...An outer skin has been wheeled, the top margin rolled over and radiused, and the edges tipped to provide parallel gaps when fitted to the frame.

It is easy to make simple things look complex...it is difficult to make complex things look simple
Ole

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »
+3

It's great to see that there is still this level of craftsmanship out there, and also pleasing to know that there are people out there willing to spend the money to achieve this quality of restoration.

Adelaide SA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: