FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 11:27:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine numbers  (Read 2937 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2014, 10:18:04 AM »

Just wondering what numbers did the engine, gearboxes etc start at. I'm assuming not number 1? I have looked but can't find anything. Also, what number grey motor did fe start with or thereabouts. Thanks.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 11:25:59 AM »

For engines:

For gearboxes, my theory:
a) The gearbox identification number is not necessarily the same as engine number.
b) Gearbox numbers are probably in the same format as engine numbers (for example FE and FC Holdens have “L” prefix engines and gearboxes). There is likely to be some overlap between models (e.g. when the FB Holden was introduced, there may still have been some “L” gearbox cases leftover from the FC Holden run that were used).
c) The numbers above can be used to infer (very) approximate vehicle/gearbox number matches (for example an FB Holden gearbox probably has a number between B1001 and B183235). Note however that this is very approximate, and there is likely to be a lot of overlap – for example I have found a gearbox which should be from an FB Holden using the process above (B154496) which had EK Holden type first and reverse/second and third shifter lever cams.

For the gearboxes, casting dates are easy to read. Adjacent to the cast part number (on the main gearbox body aft of the bellhousing) is a casting clock and further cast number (see green arrow in the image above). The cast number consists of a letter followed by several (typically three, sometimes two with a space) digits. For example J259, D308, D218, F258, G288, M210, J6 1, G 249, E3 2, L257, G135, D 66, E287, K238, D218, A806, C 6 9 and M1 8. The cast number in the image to the right is G248.
The letters represent casting month, with the letter “I” not used i.e.:
•   A = January
•   B = February
•   C = March
•   D = April
•   E = May
•   F = June
•   G = July
•   H = August
•   J = September
•   K = October
•   L = November
•   M = December
The first two digits (or first digit and space) indicate casting day, whilst the last digit indicates the year (for example D308 being the 30th of April in a year ending in 8… it was on a FX/FJ casing, so probably 1948).

Cheers,
Harv
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »

FX started at 1001 and continued through FJ up to 283372. GMH then added a prefix to the engine no, so the first FE had engine no L283373. FJ Utes and vans made after the FE was started also continued sequentially but had U prefix.
This number continued through FC and then started again at B1001 for the new FB engines.
Gearboxes, like engines, were stockpiled at each manufacturing plant (they were all made at Fishermans Bend)
There was no real aim to keep either the engine number or the gearbox number matching or in line with the chassis number.
The one thing you should be able to say is that an original car should have the gearbox and engine numbers "roughly" the same. (Maybe within 1000 to 5000 - I don't have any records on gearbox numbering so this is just a guess)

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »

Thanks Harv that's what I was after. Similar to some l30 Aussie 327 chevs etc. My son recently bought a computer and we are certain it has a faster processor than an I3 so similar at start or end of runs perhaps.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: