FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:11:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Oil Filter  (Read 5361 times)
Rodger

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:38:14 AM »

Hello, I have a remote oil filter on my FC.  I am wondering how much extra oil, if any, I need to run.  Does the dipstick still read true.  I am playing cautious and have an extra 300ml in the system.  Thank you.  PS About to start driving it - registered it today after three years chipping away. 
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:44:21 AM »

Gday
I have an FE that has been running an external oil filter for years not a daily though
What about putting up some pics of this car
Good to hear it's on the road
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »

Oil will be retained in the filter canister so top up to full then prime it by turning the pump with large screwdriver attachment on a drill down the dizzy hole .Or just wind it over 'til the oil appears up at the rockers .Then recheck the oil level . Just make sure you have the correct restrictor between the gallery on the block and the filter or all your oil pumps to your top end and you will lose flow to your crank and cam . Haydn
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »

Restrictor at the blockfitting??? My filterhas a restriction in the return , very small hole in the centre post in the filter canister which ensures that the canister is at pump pressure at all times.Should there be something else?

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:33:22 PM »

This may help:

http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=19567.0

Cheers,
Harv
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »

Yeah, that's it . Haydn
Rodger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 01:08:13 AM »

Thank you, especially the  link to the techno pages on the unit.  Must push through the 'how to' and post a picture or two.
Rodger
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »

I have read Harv's article on the remote filters and it is very informative. I am concerned about the restrictor mentioned in another post - Harv's article does mention an external 1.2mm restrictor and all the filter descriptions allude to an external restrictor. My filter does not have a separate restrictor but instead there is a hole in the oil return standpipe inside the filter. It is difficult to measure the size of this hole but it seems to be about 1.5mm or 1/16" inch. This would definitely restrict the flow of oil back to the sump and pressurise the filter canister (and cause back pressure back to the pressure relief valve).
I would really like to have opinions from those who know more than me that what I have will not (I hope) cause oil supply problems inside the engine. Comments please!   Thanks, Frazer.
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »

G'day Frazer,

Take a look at the bottom of P26 of the Guide. It should show the canister body, with the small outlet hole circled in red. The outlet hole on these is small, but not small enough... this is why a tiny (~3/64) restrictor is used.

If you don't have a restrictor, you can use a gas jet. Take your pipes to a place like Gameco (http://gameco.com.au/) to match up the correct threads. The restrictor can be readily made from the right diameter gas jet (the type of jets that run the hand-held LPG torches you use to solder with).

Cheers,
Harv
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »

Thanks for your advice Harv, will do as you suggest. I presume that the restrictor will go in the return line?
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »

Normally, yes, though it could equally go in the supply line.

cheers,
Harv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: