FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:32:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brendans Project  (Read 12399 times)
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2003, 11:06:13 AM »

Gedday all, I thought it about time to have some input to this forum, I have certainly had my fair share of output from it. This is a pic of my Fc the day I got it home which is about 3.5 years ago. I`m hoping this works, I`m not very computer literate. If all goes well I`ll post more pics of the progression of the car over the last few years. Its still not on the road, but is probably about 80% complete. I have a wife who is an accountant, and each month after pay day I have to submit my request for funds for the project. It was an $1100.00 purchase in Feb 2000, and I have all the reciepts so far for what I`ve put into it. I havent added them all up but I know I`m well over ten grand. But for those of you that have done a restoration, you would know that thats not hard. Anyway, if this works, there will be more to come. Chow, BrendanC
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 08:33:50 AM by BrendanC » Logged
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 11:39:25 AM »

It wasnt in real good nic. It needed new sills (thanks Ken), and 3 floor pan sections. The doglegs needed to be re-crafted.
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 01:50:28 PM »

You could see through the floor. It was a bit of a Fred Flintstone mobile.

The interior is in pretty good nic,

But the engine bay and motor were a bit neglected.

BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2003, 01:59:52 PM »

After reading the article in the tech section I decided to have a crack at replacing the sills myself. As you can see it was fairly bad, but Kens article was written well enough for me to have a go. I had never tried anything like this before.

I had to replace three floor pans:

BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2003, 02:06:37 PM »

Once it was stripped, it was off to the painters for a complete strip back to bare metal and then paint. Other than the lower sections, (sills & floorpans,) the body was in very good condition. There was no bog or dodgy repairs.

BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 02:16:47 PM »

BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 02:28:59 PM »

Once I got it back to my shed, out came the front end and diff for an overhaul and paint. I only paid the painter to lay on the red and white. I did the rest myself.

When I pulled the car appart, I bagged and tagged everything. This made the reassembly so much easier given the length of time between dissasembly and reassembly.

Everything got gaskets and seals, and then paint.

BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 02:38:43 PM »

My little man was never far away during all of this, but i`m not sure if he`s learnt anything.

I dont think this came out as clear on the screen as I had hoped.

This is the next project, although we use it now, but its just not quite the same behind a hilux!

I`ll post more pics as I get them developed. The car is now considerably more advanced than in these photos.

Chow for now,

BrendanC.

slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2003, 07:14:18 PM »

Looks like another good Fc will grace our Roads very shortly , Good work . Looks like you have a good size workshop there , and a good supply of Bags and tags . Cheers SLIM

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2003, 02:24:58 AM »

Brendan,

Looks very nice indeed.  The early '59 paint scheme is the most appealing of all the FC variations I reckon.  I look forward to seeing it on the road, maybe at Jindabyne?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
johnrap
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2003, 05:52:05 AM »

Smiley Smiley
Brendan your doing a fine job the paint colour looks great,
Even thought you have heaps more to do your on a down hill run

great work.

John Smiley
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2003, 10:33:14 AM »

Hey Brendan.
Great photos, they really show the work you have done. Those old sills were bad. Looks like the hard stuff is done, and your down to the fiddly bits. Keep us posted. Look forward to seeing it on the road some day.
Regards
Alex

2brite
wa-club

Cruizin's devine in a '59

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 07:37:19 AM »

Those photo's bought back many memories
Great work Brendan,look forward to the finnished product.

Cheers 2brite
Jonesy

6ers for Racing & V8s are for towing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 08:04:02 AM »

Great Picts I cant wait till I start my own Special FC sedan.
Keep up the great work and cannt wait to see it finished.

CHEER!
     Jonesy
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 11:03:39 AM »

The project reached a new milestone this arvo..... the first drive on the road Grin

I got a 28 day permit from Vicroads so that I can get a front end alignment and do a bit of pre roadworthy testing without stuffing around with transporting on a trailer.

I came home and stickytaped the permit to the windscreen, kissed my wife and baby boy, and roared off into the world in my good as new car.

First stop to the servo for some LRP. I couldnt believe the stares I got from people as I cruised along. I was grinning from ear to ear as I looked out across the shiny bonnet as I drove along.

The only other FC I have ever owned was a ute I used as a paddock bomb on my dads farm. I had never actually driven one on the road before. This car was not registered when I got it, so it has always been trailered. Come to think of it, this was the first time I had ever been in any FC traveling along the road!!!

After three and a half years of blood, sweat and beers, I was finaly driving an FC on the road.

I drove out of town, slowly worked my way up to 60MPH, I could smell the paint baking on the exhaust manifold. I drove at 60 for about one minute marveling a how quiet the car was when all of a sudden I heard a clunk clunk clunk!!! and a shudder in the steering wheel. Oh F--- I thought. It turned out to be a combination of a loose wheel bearing and loose wheel nuts! The wheel was wobbling around. Anyway, a call for some tools and a jack (coz I had none with me...doh) and I was back on the road no damage done.

The permit only allows for the car to be driven 7am to 7pm, but I found myself a few kays out of town, in the dark, with very poorly aligned headlights at about 7.30pm. I didnt get sprung though so I`m a happy man.

Anyhow, I have the bumpers and overiders at the rechromers in Melbourne and I should get them back later this week. Just bolt them up and its roadworhty time. All finished.

I have some up to date pics on a roll of film in my camera so I`ll get them developed and post them as soon as I can.

Chow for now,

Brendan.
HARKO
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2003, 11:15:03 AM »

I can picture that smile Brendan ,Ive had it a few times.

Now this is what its all about huh  Grin
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2003, 11:19:51 AM »

Hey Brendan.
That first drive is THE best.
Another high will be taking your wife and son out cruisin, just to show the missus why you spent all that time in the garage.
Looking forward to the new pics.
Regards
Alex

robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2003, 11:22:31 AM »

brendan   congrats...don't it feel good.& the reaction from others is just a bonus. lucky  bloke with that wheel....i guarrantee you will never have loose wheel nuts again Angry
              cheers trev
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 11:23:24 AM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2003, 10:54:30 AM »

Brendan
            Congrat's the pic's look great and cannot wait to see the finished poject. Enjoy the drive my friend.

Regards
Mark

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2003, 12:07:44 PM »

Good work Brendan, took your time & took care, & it shows, good luck with the caravan, I've just completed one & can email pics and advise if required. Welcome to the caravan club, robz58 from these boards also has a van.
Regards Gary
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: