FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:26:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 2056 times)
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »

When I restored my FC I found that the headlights were sealed beam type. I am wishing to go back to the original type with replaceable globes.  I have a very good set of reflectors an decided to used Halogen bulbs to get a whiter light instead of the normal incandescent ones.  The bulbs came from the gentleman in SA.  I tried them out tonight and am a little bit disappointed.  Once adjusted the high beam pattern is not too bad however the pattern of the low beam is "all over the shop" with some black spots in the light beam.  The halogen bulbs have the same base as the original style bulbs.   

When adjusting I found that a few of the adjustments were VERY close to the end of their range whereas with the sealed beams the there was plenty of adjustment left.  Has anybody tried halogen lamps and ran into the same problem.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Penners

Model: something else...

Matt Penhall
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »

Hi there KFH, although the base may be the same on the globes, the actual filament position may be incorrect to obtain the correct focal point on the reflector.. It's the old 'Angle Of infraction = the Angle of Refraction' scenario. If you measure the approximate middle of the low beam filament to the base of the globe, and compare to original. If the new globe filament length is longer you may for test purposes, be able to hold the globe in the approximate correct filament position to see if the shadow areas disappear.. Also be sure to check voltages to the back of the globe to make sure you haven't got excessive voltage drop adding to your issue. Hope this helps. Cheers Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope to start a sweet build soon..
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »

Keith,

I have the same setup with halogen bulbs in Lucas F700 reflectors in my FC, and yes, I experience the same effect with striations in the beam on low beam.  I believe the problem is that the halogen filaments are differently dimensioned and positioned compared with the old pre-focus bulbs.

In my FX I have fitted H4 headlights and "normal" P43 halogen bulbs, and the problem is much less.

Maybe there's a source of higher wattage Lucas headlight bulbs somewhere.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  Penners the voltage is fine.  I am only getting .8 volts drop from the Battery + to headlight. Ardiesse thanks for your comments.  I rang the supplier today and he told me that the bulbs are normally quite good.  He has two vehicles in his family with the same set up as mine and they have no problems.  He is sending me some more bulbs.  It will be interesting to see how they go.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: