FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:41:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR drop stubb suppliers??  (Read 11050 times)
Penners

Model: something else...

Matt Penhall
View Profile
« on: June 16, 2014, 01:38:23 PM »

Hi all, does anyone know where I can get drop stubb axles for a HR front end that aren't going to break the bank??
I just contacted stub tech, and they want $780 for a set of 2 inch drop stubbs!! With a required parts this front end is getting expensive!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope to start a sweet build soon..
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »

Ha ha if only our wifes knew what we spend.. You have 1 option and 1 option only.

What front end are you using ?

Pete

Penners

Matt Penhall
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 04:49:51 PM »

Haha. I suppose the spending thing is a 2 way street as us fellas know hey Pete.. My mrs has a wardrobe full of single use dresses and shoes that will never be worn again!!
My front end is a HR, and I have both HQ and P76 rotors in my possession to choose from. I was going to build the front end for a dummy fit to see if I will achieve the front end stance I desire. But with the cost of required parts adding up, I am starting to wonder wether I should look at a complete new assy and be done with it.. Rod-tech do a complete unit with coil overs, front mount rack and VS brakes for $4300. Still expensive, but cheaper than CRS, and a much nicer looking unit also..

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »

pm sent

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:11:28 PM »

If I were to do it all again, I would absolutely buy a Rod Tech front end with no hesitation. Factor in about $1K for rack conversion and collapsible column, $800 for drop stubs, $1300 for big brakes, plus money for rubbers and other miscellaneous parts, as well as buying a serviceable HR front end, a complete set up looks very appealing.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »

Do you know what sucks about fabricated Front Ends and living in Australia?

Finding this sort stuff in Murika!
http://www.southernrods.com/chassis-and-suspension/front-end-ifs/southern-rods-1.html

Penners

Matt Penhall
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »

$1200. For a complete bolt in front end there.. Nearly $800 just for stubb axles here!! It seems we have a "pineapple from the rough end" culture every where we turn here in aus!!!

Factory Custom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »

Dropped stubs are fine but if your running a very low car then you'll have to be happy running 155 tyres up front and even then mine scrub at times.  What $4K for a frontend are you guys joking, really unless your building a touring car what is the need for them, plus R&P.  The old setups work fine, you guys must love wasting money for no reason. What a pack of gold chainers.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 06:16:55 AM »

For the amount of stuffing around with my HR front end I still have ended up with single piston  VS calipers and can't run power steering. Although I'm happy with what I have I wish I could have invested in one as it would have saved a crap load of time too.

FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 06:43:15 AM »

I ran stubbs on my ek ute lowered 4 inches ran 185 tires no scrubbing
regards fatboy

fatboy
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »

Can't remember for sure but is the issue the upper inner control arm pivot  position if you were to use later model stubs which are lower [not a lot]. If this new shaft position was used then you are up against the inner guard with your wheel alignment adjustment , just as you are with a standard HR frontend on a FX FJ .What I have done with FX FJ in the past is to make boxed covers screwed to the inner guards  and remove the inner guard around the shaft .  Has anyone who has or has seen later stubs with masses of wheel alignment spacers done this . Just wanted to see what people are using these days, with the fashion being lower profile tyres and ride heights to still have full suspension would be a must. Cheers Haydn
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »

gold chainers - that's a bit harsh.....
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »

I'm running drop stubs, twin piston callipers and 205/50 R15s on my HR front end. No scrubbing.

I like my gold chains  Wink
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »

Graeme,

Gold is a flattering colour.

If we didn't adapt and adopt and keep up with advances in technology and safety, we'd still be running around with these "old setups" with a view that it's as good as it can be.

I'm happy with the way I've built my FC, and I'm pretty sure that's all that matters. 
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 09:22:22 AM »

Exactly right Josh, I am happy with my set up, it drives well, steers well and is functional.  Yes, maybe a more modern front end and steering set up would be better again, but at the moment all is good.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »

So Factory Custom are you Factory or Custom? And what's your problem with guys that have some coin?

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »

Engineering and the VSB14 also mandate technological updates. You can attempt to ignore the need to change certain things, but realistically, if you want a V8 in your FE/FC, you're going to have to satisfy engineering requirements and move with the times. For what it's worth, I'm glad I've got big brakes and a R&P setup. If the worst happened, I'm glad I've got seat belts - despite the fact that the "old set up" worked fine, I'd prefer to be strapped in my car, rather than through the windscreen, and I'd prefer to have a collapsible column, rather than a steering column through my chest. Several cases in point where the despite the "old setup" working fine, but realistically, common sense dictates that I don't have many options when it comes to safeguarding myself and my passengers.

My $00.2.

Regards,

Josh.   
2door350

Model: FE

RAT 059

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »

Josh - you do have some reasonable flares too remember...
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »

Agree with you again Josh, seatbelts, collapsible column, modern disc brakes, 2 speed wipers, washers, demisters, etc etc all fitted to mine as well. 

Still considering the rack option and might build another front end with a rack and swap it over at some stage.
Penners

Matt Penhall
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »

Hi guys, haven't been on here for a while, but heard about the "gold chainer" side of the argument, and feel the need to respond.
For a start, I want to build my toy to a standard that I'm happy with  , and in general I'm quite fussy. Keeping an engineer happy is really going to be both costly and a pain in the arse for me in the "nanny state" of vic where thickened red tape is the norm..
I don't smoke, rarelly drink and don't have pay-TV, so lets run the figures-
At $20/day cigs will cost $7200 per year
At $40/week beer will be $2080 per year
And pay TV will be at least $1000... So there's around $10,300 I don't spend.
I also work away from family and friends in shit conditions and accommodation that most wouldn't endure for extended periods of time.
The way I see it is that to get my hr front to pass engineering is going to cost me upwards of $2500 but will it be signed off is the question?? So a $4000 unit that will not only work correctly, but will also be certified sounds like a good option to me.. Plus I will still be $6280 in front by my calculations... Less my 2 cents of course Wink cheers all

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: