FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:15:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: SCARY Melbourne traffic  (Read 6080 times)
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2014, 02:41:38 AM »

For us "out of towners"
I would appreciate some local knowledge please
What's the best/easiest way to get to the ferry
Driving up from The Great Ocean Road (Lorne)
I've only ever tried driving in Melbourne once and nearly killed someone stepping of a tram that stopped in the middle of the road  Shocked
then people were turning RIGHT from the LEFT traffic lane  Shocked Huh

and everyone thinks West Aussies are bad drivers  Roll Eyes

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
freddyc
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:46:25 AM »

surfer can I offer a little bit of advise. " don't sledge the people you are asking to help". I to am interested in this answer
fred

Townsville North Queensland
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:45 AM »

Well, I'm not from Melbourne, but armed with my GPS and e-way tag, I managed to navigate largely via motorways and had no trouble.

However: one tip. Don't ever back off to allow another car to merge into the traffic in front of you. They don't expect it, and they become bewildered if you do.

I think you can get a day-pass equivalent of the toll beeper from their website. A local should be able to give you that detail.

cheers RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:31:42 AM »

My first melbourne driving experience was on the weekend took the mrs to the dandenongs wow crazy town better than sydney tho.
the etag went off its head non stop in the hire car.
also on the way back to the airport there was a 5 lane freeway that was just shut down leaving us to try track thru the back way to the airport..

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »

G'day Surferboy,

From Lorne, stay on the highway which becomes a freeway and head to Melbourne.  Once you get past Laverton, you will notice signs on the freeway giving directions to the big boat.  Stay in either of the left 2 lanes, and watch for the signs, particularly when you go over the Westgate bridge.  You can see the port where the boat is from the bridge.  It is well sign posted so you shouldn't have any trouble fining it.  Also there are NO tolls on this section of road.  Once at the port, grab a tram to head into the city if you are planning a look around.  See in you Tassie Smiley

Cheers, Graeme.
Eaton_FE
wa-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »

Surferboy,
WE have arrived in Melbourne and the navigator gave us a very nice tour of the inner city, Nothing quite like the feeling when you have no idea where you are, The cars seem to be coming at you from all angles and the navigator saying turn left them recalculating and tries to send you down a mall or a lane.

Les
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »

hook turn you say,
all theise fc/fe driving around in melbourne and I'm yet to see one,
maybe close to the night the boat leaves i might,

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 11:39:56 PM »

Thanks Graeme & guys. Helps me relax a bit now.
P.S. question from a west aussie .....What's a TOLL ? ? ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

cruisin's great with a 58
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 12:08:25 AM »

its a pay road
so if you drive on it, you'll be send a bill in the mail
depending on how many toll points you drive will depend on how much you pay
but allow at least $9-13 per trip per day you drive on them and you should be fine
https://www.citylink.com.au/1090.htm

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »

John, I think Surferboy's tongue was firmly in his cheek!  Cheesy Martyn
FC_Driver
nsw-club

We Love our FC...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »

Hi   Hook turns actually work well ( keeps the trams flowing).......There isn't many of them around..(Hook turns that is) .and I'm from NSW....   Don't worry if you block a tram you will know!  Bruce & Jan    ...   DING DING!.......PS Watch out for people gettion off trams in the middle of the street.....Give way to them!   Its the law.
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 11:20:05 AM »

::)OMG: I just googled maps to get to Port Melbourne (and printed) from Tantanoola (yes we moved a year ago and Tantanoola is 20mins NW of Mount Gambier) and I definitely have a headache now. Just hope we get in the right lanes approaching them freeway turnoffs!!! Greg says he will trust the GPS - I have my doubts - those things tend to act like taxi's - take you round and round to get you to your destination!!!!  Oh well we are leaving early enough that if we have to "crack a youee" we will make it in plenty of time!  Good luck and safe  driving to all FE/FC people going to Tassie.  SEE YOU ALL THERE!!!!   Wink Wink

I am woman, hear me ROAR - "vrrmm vrrmm"
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »

G'day Hotlips, are you going to Melb via Ballarat?  If yes, give me a call and we could cruise down at the same time.  If not, give me a call anyway and we can meet up near Melb and you can follow me in.  It is really easy to get to and is well signposted, and you can see the boat from the top of Westgate bridge. Remember, when you are on the Westgate freeway, keep in the left lane....

Cheers, Graeme

My number is 0481 200 164 and coffee is always on at our place  Smiley
fink

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »

When crossing the WestGate,look to yer left and youll see the ''HOLY GRAIL'' GMH Fishermans Bend,take the first left,Cook st,follow it to your right until you hit Salmon st,turn left and follow it until you past Kraft,and the GMH Showroom is to your left,with cars like the Hurricane Xu2,and stuff you can only Drool over,it's worth the time to have a squiz,if you have a current Melways it's map 42 H 11  Shocked Kiss Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: