FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Polished ports  (Read 4557 times)
57effie

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:02 AM »

Hey Guys,

Had the head done. He's used red valves and springs and he's also enlarged and polished the ports for better flow. If I use the standard inlet manifold the rings for the inlet ports don't have an edge in port of the head to stop against. If I fit the manifold without the rings or even with them then the result will be disturbed or turbulent airflow into the chamber. I was going to fit extractors so if I enlarge the ports on the standard inlet manifold I don't have any way of aligning the manifold on the head as there are no bolts. The same goes for an aftermarket inlet manifold. It seems pointless to enlarge and polish the inlet manifold ports to improve airflow if I have to use a standard exhaust manifold. Or am I over thinking this.

Considering the work that some on this forum do I cant be the first to have this decision to make. 

Any suggestions.

Mark
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:27:34 AM »

Mark,

I have a warm grey motor with a ported and polished head, the manifolds have wee little holes drilled through them and into the side of the head

they are staked with small roll pins to align the manifolds to the ports, I believe it's called port matching, not sure how it's done though

My engine has Jack Myer headers and a twin manifold, although I am sure you could use extractors

Maybe you could ask the bloke who did the head to see if he can match them up

Gary
john253a

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:11:16 AM »

With the pins you use std inlet and put you extractors on
Drill a and fit a 2-2.5mm pin on each side
Then you remove everything
Bearing blue the extractors
And push them against the head using the pins for ailment
And open the ports up to that
You do the same for inlet

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
57effie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:38:12 PM »

Thanks fella's,

You have flicked the switch and a dim glow has erupted.
A simple solution to a simple problem.

Mark
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »

I have been running mostly red motors in old holdens for many years so nearly all my collection of manifolds are matched to the 5 stage on my FC van . Never done the thing with the bearing blue ,I just ran them with a new gasket then removed the manifolds and gasket and matched the manifolds and gasket to the black edge [carbon deposit ] on the gasket . You can really tell when you get it right . Cheers Haydn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: