FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 05:23:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Like button  (Read 4934 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »
+1

Just an idea but would it be possible to set up a like button on here the same as fb, I don't know about everyone else but in between work, working on the wagon,fb and e-mails i don't have time to sit here for a couple of hours (like i've just done today) commenting on everybodies posts, on fb and the FE-FC Holden Enthusiast section you can just click "like" so people know you like what they have done and if you really want to make a comment you can, it's just so much simpler and quicker to do, I know you can vote people up and down here but it's not the same, with the like button it displays who has liked your post on the post so you can see it and who has liked it at a glance, personally i think it's a much better idea and would be utilised a lot more.
   Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Froger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »
+1

I'd go with that ..

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:00:05 PM »
+1

Me Too

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »
+1

Ok, all things are possible.

Just to clarify, though: two questions:

1) are we talking about a literal Facebook "Like", or something internal to the forum akin to a Facebook "Like"?
2) and if we're talking about Facebook specifically, would such "Likes" be attached to every post, or just to every thread?

No promises at this stage, just scoping out the requirement, so the Admins can discuss it.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »
+1

I understood Pedro to mean it could be used as a quick reply tool on this site, acknowledging that you read the post & agree/like the updates here.
Not that familiar with or keen on Facebook myself but I know I'm in the minority & the time will come when I'll need to get on board. I guess it depends on what you use it for & the extent of personal information you want to share, but the (adult) kids drive me nuts on it.

Dave
0417 270 315
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
+1

Thanks RET, I was just thinking of something internal, so that instead of having to sit down and write a comment people could just click like, that way whoever put the post up would know it had been seen and who had liked it the same way they do on fb, we have over 2,500 members on here and the majority of them don't interact with the site, maybe if they could just click "like" they would get more involved it seems to work on the FE-FC Holden Enthusiast page, how does everybody else feel about the idea.?
   Pedro

F4+
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28:46 PM »
+1

I wasn't keen on fb either DJ and i used to stir my wife and kids about it all the time but when Mezza got sick i started getting on there to let her friends know what was happening, then i discovered a lot of people i know were on there too and also caught up with a lot of old friends i hadn't seen for years and yes i have to admit i became hooked, now i realise it's a great way to keep in contact with people that i would normally only see every now and then, plus keep up with current events and some funny shit that gets posted Grin, my daughter set up my page so only friends can see it not the public so it's also private.
   Pedro

F4+
hawk
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »
+1

Like...........
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »
+1

Yes, I can't ignore the fact that it does effectively connect families & communities with so many accepting it. I'll think about asking my son to set up something similar.

Dave
0417 270 315
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
+1

Unfortunately, it looks like there are no ready-made solutions for a "Like" button available for our older version of the forum software. Sooner or later, we will have to upgrade, the v1.1.x series won't be supported for ever.

SMF was chosen when our old YaBB forum became unstable and resource-intensive - due to the size of our forum then! - because it offered the simplest upgrade path, and had the same "look and feel". (In fact SMF was largely inspired by YaBB.)

But that was 2005 or something, and forums have come a long way since then. There are a variety of new platforms that offer all sorts of integration with social networks, image hosting, mobile support and a myriad of other features. If I was starting from scratch now, I almost certainly wouldn't choose SMF, I must admit. I'm very impressed with Vanilla, and there are some subscription-based (ie cost money) forums out there that are quite highly regarded.

So when the time comes to upgrade this forum, we will probably look more widely at what's available.

Anyway, it doesn't look like a self-contained Like button is going to happen in the near future.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »

No worries RET.
   Pedro

F4+
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: