FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:29:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: what does everyone think of these?  (Read 4870 times)
gongrat

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:38 AM »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and have been looking at buying a car for a while.

probably at tax time I'll put he word out.

I have seen these advertised for months, are they good value? or should this guy be avoided?

Craig

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/buy_and_sell/for_sale/JTM3332613/?backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justauto.com.au%2Fjustcars%2Fsearch%3Fparent_page%3D%252Fjustcars%252F%26search_type_make%3DHOLDEN%26search_type_model%3D%26search_details_earliest_year%3D%26search_details_latest_year%3D1960%26search_details_lowest_price%3D%26search_details_highest_price%3D%26keywords%3DKeywords%26search_category%3D%26search_location_state%3D%26sort%3DLowest%2520price&backtext=Back+to+results

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/buy_and_sell/for_sale/JTM3332615/?backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justauto.com.au%2Fjustcars%2Fsearch%3Fparent_page%3D%252Fjustcars%252F%26search_type_make%3DHOLDEN%26search_type_model%3D%26search_details_earliest_year%3D%26search_details_latest_year%3D1960%26search_details_lowest_price%3D%26search_details_highest_price%3D%26keywords%3DKeywords%26search_category%3D%26search_location_state%3D%26sort%3DLowest%2520price&backtext=Back+to+results

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/buy_and_sell/for_sale/JCM3425455/?backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justauto.com.au%2Fjustcars%2Fsearch%3Fparent_page%3D%252Fjustcars%252F%26search_type_make%3DHOLDEN%26search_type_model%3D%26search_details_earliest_year%3D%26search_details_latest_year%3D1960%26search_details_lowest_price%3D%26search_details_highest_price%3D%26keywords%3DKeywords%26search_category%3D%26search_location_state%3D%26sort%3DLowest%2520price&backtext=Back+to+results
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:07:59 AM »

My advice is to take someone with you that can look at the vehicle and help you make an unbiased decision . A mechanic mate of mine asked me to do this for him while buying an EH wagon . On the way ,I asked my friend how much the car was advertised for and how much he was willing to pay , turned out it was about half . It wasn't as tough as I thought as it was a very dodgy 202 and tri-matic conversion but the body was very good . Take someone who can put a dollar figure on the structural work .Cheers Haydn
BVO-332
nsw-club

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »

Where are these vehicles located?
gongrat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »

I think they are in Howlong, NSW its about 30 klms west of Albury. In the photos it looks like he has got loads of cars on the farm.
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:40:52 AM »

I don't know the seller but maybe it's a wrecking yard. There seems to be a lot listed around Albury.
Farmers in NSW were instructed to clean up their properties a few years ago as part of a campaign to improve the natural waterways. A lot of cars & machinery dumped in creeks & left in paddocks went to scrap metal dealers or local wreckers/recyclers.

My views on buying -
I think the potential of a project can only really be determined by going to the site. Phoning and asking for more photos & detail beforehand can help make the decision to travel, or to keep looking elsewhere. As suggested by Haydn, two sets of eyes will more effectively evaluate the effort needed to produce the result you want, and hopefully help avoid too many surprises mid way.
Then, the 'value' to you will also depend on your particular experience/skills, or ease of access to specific services required for each unique restoration.

The right one for you will show up.

Dave
0417 270 315
fasteddyfc

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »

They would all belong to old Rex in howlong. Not exactly a wrecking yard just a bloke that travels the country picking up old cars and dragging them back to his house. He normally has 30-40 cars lying around the house & has been selling them for as long as I can remember.
I personally would not travel too far to look at one of Rex's cars, I have looked at a few of his cars and always found he wants top dollar for rusty wrecks. He does get the odd good car though but be prepared to pay.

The cars you are interested in look to be in better condition than most of the junk he usually sells, but they seem very cheap for Rex's normal prices so I would imagine they are fairly stuffed.
Just my opinion they might be good restorers, I might have a look at the sedan myself but I won't have high expectations of it.

Cheers
Eddy
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »

The strangest sales pitch I've had was , while looking to buy a FC wagon ,parked on the curb for sale ,the owner came out and said " the only rust that is in it is the rust you can see ". I crawled under and the floor sections on both side next to the fuel tank were totally gone .I got out from under the car laughing and replied " there is plenty of floor I can't see under there" . Haydn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: