FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:26:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door glass bottom rubers  (Read 3896 times)
mickrat

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »

Just going through door internals. The rubbers on the bottom out side of the door glass are all gone hard and perished. So I have trimmed off what was left. Only one is half reasonable. Are these rubbers available new. Can I do without them. Do I try to stick some rubber strips in their place. I suppose draughts and water leakage are enevitable.   Need some advice.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

1957 fe special sedan    (rusty one )    1958 business sedan   ( good one )   

Maco
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »

You could try Clarke Rubber they have some every similar section rubber extrusion.

Cheers
John

Better in Green
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:50:14 PM »

One of my suppliers

http://ovesco.com.au/index.php?catname=Rubber%20and%20Seal%20Strip&cat=4

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:56:24 PM »

Went through a similar situation not too long ago. I went to Clarke Rubber and got similar thickness rubber. I then Sikafexed it to the glass at 90 degrees. Did the trick nicely. I did this about 6 months ago and haven't put the door trim back on. Just went and had a look at it hasn't moved at all.

Rod
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:28:08 AM »

I think the 55 Chev BelAir is the same, Craig (WhiteFC) be able to point you in the right direction if required or have a look at the American repro sites

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »

Most modern cars don't use a rubber just "silastic".  When I replaced our drivers side channel a few years ago I omitted the rubber and set the window into the channel using silastic.  Once it was cured it then went in the car.  It still there and working great.

Albert the butler.

NosFEratu
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »

I think the rubber flap is there to deflect water away from the metal runner that is clamped to the bottom of the window.If you have a look at mickrats pic you'll see rust has started at each end where the rubber has deteriorted/missing.Rust starts there and then drops down and starts to rust the bottom of the door.
ACE  Cool
mickrat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »

Found another complete set of door glass. The bottom channel runners are perfect but again the rubbers are shot  after looking very closely at the positioning of the rubbers they appear only to collect water that runs down the glass and direct it to each end of the glass letting it fall to the bottom of the doors directly above the drain holes for  exit from door. Decided to trim them back and fit sticky back small rubber section across length of glass to keep out draughts. Rust treated door internals and cleaned out drain holes. Don't mind a small amount of water getting in so long as it can get out. 

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

1957 fe special sedan    (rusty one )    1958 business sedan   ( good one )   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: