FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:31:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: clutches  (Read 2545 times)
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:45:29 AM »

A minor head gasket leak in my FC turned into a full engine rebuild, and I decided to replace my clutch.
Easy, I thought.  Two weeks later I'm still waiting for an exchange pressure plate.

Call For Help: Does anyone in Sydney Metro have a reco pressure plate and driven plate for a grey motor on the shelf?  I have lots of old pressure plates, but none good enough to re-use.

My engine's complete, I want to put in the car this weekend.  I just need a clutch.

My local brake and clutch shop is trying to set me up with a 220 mm dia clutch (179 EH - HK) instead of the original 200 mm unit.  I'm not keen on this.  Way back when, long ago, I fitted an X2 motor to my EK with standard crashbox, and the HR pressure plate lightly machined out the inside of the bellhousing.

Thanks (in advance),

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »

I'm running a 220mm clutch in my FE and FJ. Both with greys and original gearboxes. Maybe I was just lucky, but I had no problems with either. I don't know that you can get the 200mm clutch. When looking for my FJ earlier this year I could only get the larger one. I got mine from Hotbitz in Blacktown.

Colin.

colt
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:34 AM »

Colin,

That's interesting.  Maybe the red motor flywheel is just that little bit thicker than the grey motor's, but given that the EJ and EH 149 gearboxes are identical, I'd doubt it.  I also hear Frank Tedesco replaces grey motor clutches with the 220 mm versions too.

In my case with the X2 motor, it could just have been part-to-part variations.

Anyway, it's all sorted.  Western Clutch at St Marys had a pressure plate.  But I noticed that Clutch Industries (formerly PBR) has gone all metric.  A 200 mm driven plate is really 200.0 mm, not 203.2.  The driven plate lining doesn't come to the outside edge of the pressure plate face like they used to.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: