FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 09:23:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Head-lining installation  (Read 2908 times)
sgo

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »

I've heard of trimmers using hair-dryers or heat when installing head-linings.
Just curious about why and where this is used and to what effect?
Perhaps a question for Stinky Huh

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »

I use a heat gun at the very end of the job to get rid or persistent wrinkles, it's not really required as the wrinkles generally come out after a day in the sun.
The heat allows the vinyl to stretch that little bit extra, you are after all installing what was a flat piece of vinyl into a curve.
Really deep creases need to be removed by adjusting the rooflining rather than heat though.
I always recommend people use a hairdryer and regularly touch the heated vinyl with the back of their hand to make it doesn't get too hot.

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »

Thanks, makes sense.

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »

Please excuse me if this doesn't work. First time using tapatalk. Stinky I hope you can give some feedback on the attached photo. In my ute the headlining is coming away him one corner. I need to take the window out to replace the rubber due to leaking and was hoping to do something with the headlining. Many years ago l used your method of a heat gun with some success but it is coming away again. I am a little concerned it is pulling away too much. Can suggest a contact adhesive / glue to use and how to safely adhere the lining to the window frame?

One other thing I was thinking of doing was to take a piece of lining which is behind the panel that runs up the side of the front window and holds the windlace in place and stick it somehow to cover the section which is pulling away.

Have you got any thought?

Thanks in anticipation. Rod

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk now Free
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »

If you are replacing the rubber and have access to the rear of the roof lining, get some contact adhesive. You can use the spray can stuff or the brush on gear or if you have a friendly trimmer he might sell you some to brush on. A scrap of vinyl glued back-to-back should fix the tear and be mostly inconspicuous if you are patient and careful, always wait for the glue to tack well ie feels like sticky tape, before pressing the backings together. Let it dry for a day or two before any pulling or stretching.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: