FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:57:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My old van  (Read 5700 times)
hsv-001

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »

Thought I might post some photos of my old van and a few parts and accessories I have lying around. The van was purchased about 30 years ago in as is but original condition. Its owner purchased it new [it was a demo car driven up from Melbourne]at a Mt. Gravatt dealership where the dicky seat and sliding windows were fitted.

Ok awhile ago someone told me of all the options available from dealerships back in the day. How about a 'e' model Vauxhall wind splitter as a bonnet emblem on a fe ute. I've put it on my van the orange indicator lenses are Vauxhall or Bedford. By the way the sliding window catches on my van are 'L' model Vauxhall.

The indicator lenses on the left with the step on the chrome ring are fe and the one on the right is Vauxhall or Bedford

fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »

cool thanks for sharing.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »

How about a 'e' model Vauxhall wind splitter as a bonnet emblem on a fe ute.

Did they get enough speed to require the use of one?

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »

Yeah sorry about that . I had to stop the post to help my daughter with her homework. Anyway if l you look carefully at the dodgy photo of the open EK service handbook you will see it is explaining that if the steering column is on the left of the car the gear shift and indicators still operate the same . In other words this model holden was the first holden considered for mass export.

These Exactone touch-up guns were available back in the 50's at dealerships to spray colour matched paint that could be purchased in the small vegemite like bottles that screw on the gun. The air hose as you can see screws on to your spare wheel. I found this at a swapmeet a few years ago ,took it home and filled it with paint and thinners and tried it and the paint came out way too fast. Have discovered since that the old nitro cellulose lacquer was much thicker and needed the larger jet.
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 12:20:09 PM »

FB Holden was the first LHD export not EK Wink
ACE  Cool
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »

Sorry, it may be a FB service booklet. I"ll get it out and check it.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »

Yeah your right its a FB booklet and your also correct with the FB being the first left hand drive option. As there was quite a lot of holdens exported in bits for assembly overseas prior, it would be interesting to try and find if any overseas companies did conversions.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »

Just a couple more pics. Do it yourself interior . Like I have said previously ,over many years I have mixed and matched with different ideas regarding all  aspects of this old car .I find the door card pouches very handy .I will get photos of the Nissan glovebox with vanity mirror and map light and post later.

FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »

Did you have a hand brake cable made or adapt another as I am in this stage myself at the moment and was going to get one made.

Regards
Neil H
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:38 PM »

I guess so as not to get into trouble, as I sometimes do on this forum , I should tell you to get someone qualified [ capable] to drill the cable out of the ball on one end so you can pull the slack through 'till its the right length. Then it can be welded back to the ball. I should explain that the handbrake is Nissan but most of the jap handbrakes are similar.The under floor end of the handbrake lever has a hole or eye in it and I used the original bracket that is at the rear of the front cable and where the threaded end of the cable screws in I threaded a length of 5/16 rod and welded it to the section of flat bar that has the rear cable clevis pinned to it. I will try to get a photo because it is easier to do than explain.

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »

So it should look something like this if I were to clean it up and weld it. When I fit it , it will have a return spring to also hold it up  to the floor clear of your tailshaft,

Mine was built with a ford clevis and a turnbuckle but that isn't needed. If you have any problems ,message me .
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »

Who did the steering wheel? I am wondering what to do with mine  Tongue

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »

I made it myself as I didn't need the leverage of the original wheel after installing the rack some 20 years ago. Getting the bucket seats low enough with the profile of the floor is always hard work and as i'm not that tall the only issue is clearance under the wheel . Making it smaller seemed to be the obvious answer. Did one for Wayne also. I will post a photo of one on my Vauxhall later.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »

Thanks, all ideas are useful  Wink

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: