FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:53:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New windscreen or not  (Read 4514 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2013, 11:44:52 AM »

I'm sure i've heard it mentioned on here before and i've always been under the impression myself that when you did a rebuild you had to fit a brand new windscreen, I was just talking to the mechanic in town who has been doing RWC's for donkeys years and he said it's not true you don't have to fit a new one, he said he didn't fit one to his FJ ute when he rebuilt it?Huh
  Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
REDMR2RED
vic-club

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »

Not sure about QLD, but in VIC it is basically up to the person doing the Road Worthy Certificate, if he (she) thinks there are no chips or scratches especially in the field of vision for the driver then they won't ask for a new one.

1959 FC Holden Ute
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:51:15 PM »

Pedro, you don't have to fit a new srceen as long as the old one will pass rego. The main thought was that if you spend all that money on doing up a car, then you put a daggy old screen back in it looks out of place. These days you can get most scratches polished out so the screen or any glass in the car will look good. The cost is always a factor though, if the cost of polishing is around the same as a new glass then it would be silly not to put the new glass in. I've done a few refits latley for guys who have had the car rebuilt and have had the side glasses polished, they came out great. The only thing I would look at is how much will the car be driven as the old screen is only toughened where the new screens ar laminated.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »

Thanks guys, I think it might be better to fit a new screen anyway, it's probably not going to be that much dearer than getting the old one polished by the sound of it.
   Pedro

F4+
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 10:11:17 AM »

I have quite a lot of old windshields stored and as i dont use my car as a daily drive i will use them.But if i was planning a long trip i would install a laminated windshield as broken glass is annoying and rough on the interior as well as the posterior and the wind can damage the hoodlining.When i built my hotrod i had my shield made from safety glass as i had the wiper motor shaft drilled through it.At cityglass in Brisbane i was shown what can happen when glass is over polished to remove deep scratches.You will notice an obvious wave effect when viewed at an acute angle but i am unsure of what this affect will be on side and rear glass when tinted.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »

I have always used what came with the car or sourced a good original replacement, though never had one polished

Have found over the years / miles that modern car windscreens crack and chip a lot more easily than the

good old fashioned type (touch wood)

Pedro, if you decide to stay with the old / original type of screen I have a GMH factory wrapped NOS one if you are interested

Regards, Gary
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys, I haven't even looked at the screens i've got yet to see what they are like but i've replaced everything else so far so i will probably go with the new one, no use spending all that dough on a paintjob and chromework then put a daggy old windscreen in, thanks for the offer of the NOS one Gary but that would probably be more appreciated by someone who wanted to put their car back to dead stock with all original parts, it would be a shame to use it on a custom build like mine when NOS stuff is getting so hard to come by, plus you'd probably get a fortune for it on ebay.
   Pedro

F4+
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »

idd start it 4g,
it wont look out of place next to the rusted out subframe for 2 Cheesy

not 100% but arnt the glass laminated and old were tuffened
if so the new one would be safer if you were to have have an accident

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »

so would a ve commo john  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: