FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:27:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC front end VS HR standard front end  (Read 5488 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »

Hi all

How frowned upon would it be if the rest of the taxi i am doing is completely restored to original but I put a standard HR front in and keep the brand newly rubbered and blasted original front end for future to convert back? Is that what most people do. The missus wants it to stop but I am not that fussed about drums. It never rains here anyway  Cheesy Any opinions appreciated. Will be a club car

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »

I've never had a problem with the stock brakes being able to stop, but it depends on how you drive. Keep to or just below the speed limits, don't tailgate and you should be fine.  Put in a booster if you must- this wont improve the brakes, but will make them more responsive.

Ken
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »

Fine by me mate. Although I am hiding a 5L in mine but trying to keep it looking stock with bench seat column shift etc.

My Father-out-law says I have just destroyed the car by molesting it. So it depends on who you ask but really.... do what YOU want and YOU will be happy with it

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »

I agree with NES - do what you are happy with, bugger anyone else.  As for people who say we are molesting the cars I say this - at least we have them on the road driving them, not letting them rust away in a shed or paddock somewhere.
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »

Just my opinion, but fe350chev said "it will be a club car"
Here in S.A. we don't have club reg we only have historic or normal.
Historic reg is NO period modifications unless it was a factory option of the FE/FC model except for electric windscreen wipers, seat belts and radial tyres.
Stinky is fighting hard to try and get historic for modifieds (GO STINKY) in S.A. but could be a long way off  Sad

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
fink

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 08:32:13 PM »

Updating the f/end to disc's may need Engineering,outrigger has to be changed[welded in]different rims on the front,drag link, track ,we all know how tuff the laws are so be carefull,good luck, Gaz!
snuff69

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »

I put all new stuff in mine and it stops supprisingly well, not like a new car but quite good enough as long as you keep an eye out. Dave
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:14:22 AM »

Im in Victoria so I can do the club thing. Im really happy with the new log book system and I thank those who have worked hard to get it for us here the way it is in vic. Would need engineers though with hr fr end. I know whats involved there. Im doing my FE as the hotter one with the 350 (it will dads car in SA, engineered there, until he decides after a while that its not for him, then i transfer to me in Vic using the SA eng cert), thats the most likely scenario. But with the FC taxi im gunna take it back exactly how it was with the advice from an old lady neighbour of the man that owned it (and his adult kids when I find them), so It's completely original adelaide taxi. But I will pot around in this one and im not a hard driver in old cars, so I think you guys have answered my questions very well. I think I will do a really good resto on the current front. I have already got everything blasted and bought new springs and have the full kit sitting here, but soon Ill be putting the subframe back on the FE.

PS: Things are progressing structurally very quickly on the Breton Blue FE modified beast. I also got the scalloping done of a hr front, strengthened by an engineer in the box part. Got the t700 setup in transmission area ready to go in. Cant wait til its in my new shed as a roller, the shed will go up soon as soon as my builder gets his ass into gear!

I will go with standard front now for the fc now that people are happy with their performance in normal condition. I drive tippers, so would be easier to stop than my acco fully loaded lol.

If I want to drive something hard (im in bush), Id prefer to do it to the rodeo or the sv6 Z sportswagon (bit of a slug though). Id rather go sick on a track because it doesnt send a good message to my boys to drive like a maniac on the street. There is a bit too much of that happening ATM everywhere causing too much carnage, but unfortunately its cars that are worth 2k but can go very fast but are death traps. I must be getting old and responsible  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Cry Cry Cry

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:44 AM »

Just thought I would throw this combination out there.Its what I run in my van.Red 6 ,vk  5 speed  308 diff.13x7 hr rims red motor radiator,x2 headers,2"exhaust,disc brake front end with rear rack,nissan booster,nissan windshield washer bottle,nissan centre pull handbrake,retractable seatbelts[mounted through rear floor]nissan wiper motor and centre console and nissan buckets and h4 headlights heavy springs ,gas shocks and swaybars front and rear.I have found this combo to be both reliable and comfortable.I have driven the old girl for 30 years and will recommend these mods to anybody.The only annoyance is the lack of choice in tyre selection[profile]hits the potholes a bit hard.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:18:33 PM »

The FE will have all the goodies. The FC will be stock. Thanks for sharing. All ideas on table but def a rear mounted rack and probably will go VE brakes rather than AU.

Deano

pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 01:39:25 PM »

Sounds like a good plan to me Deano, one custom, one totally stock, if you put a HR front in it then it won't be stock, people towed caravans around Oz with the old front ends and brakes so they aren't that bad, as Ken said put a booster on it and it will be fine.
        Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 10:34:57 PM »

Ok, I started on the front end, all wishbones blasted, got new  shocks

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: