FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:48:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Pump  (Read 4973 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »

The Diaphragm in my FE's vacuum fuel pump is in need of replacing and I'd appreciate a few thoughts on the best path to take. The car has had electric wipers for years but the original pump was retained. It seems that when converted over to electric all that was done was to crimp off the vacuum line and the old vacuum diaphragm was still in the pump when it was stripped down. I'm wondering whether this is normal practice or should the pump have been sealed off internally somehow? I have not been able to source NOS or any repro diaphragms and have been told they're not available anymore. I know where to find a later pump that suited EK-EJ greys and red motors but would much prefer to keep the original pump. Has anyone had to deal with similar issues?

Cheers, Ken
hawk
nsw-club

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »

Ken, you can use a red motor pump and remove the vacuum pipe that goes to the manifold.
You will then need the bolt to block the manifold off.
These can be found on ek ,ej holdens.
Regards, Greg.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »

I maybe wrong but I thought that the diaphram and valves that pump the fuel are the same and interchangable in both pumps
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 06:42:30 AM »

I'm pretty sure they are different diaphragms. That's why they are hard to get.
Cheers,
Graham
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »

Angry Angry

I saw the guy at Cambridge Park Spares (near Penrith) yesterday,where I bought the pump kits, and was told that the kits are no longer available and the red motor pump will do the job, apparently you can still buy them new. He also mention that Rares may have some.

Rusty.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »

As Graham says, I think Ken is asking about retaining his original unit, that is, on FE & FC, similar to FJ, a double diaphragm unit upper diaphragm for the petrol, lower diaphragm for the wipers / vacuum

I wouldn't mind finding out if the lower unit, or the whole kit with upper and lower is available also as a couple of my cars still run the earlier unit

Gregs solution sounds good so long as you are not still running the vacuum wipers, but want to keep the original look

Gary
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:03:42 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. Here are the two diaphragms I have. The original is on the left. They are identical other than the variation in shaft length. The new one came in a kit with all the correct valves and springs so I'm wondering if the shorter shaft is possibly from a grey motor fuel pump off the EK & EJ models which had electric wipers. I notice in the 48-67 parts catalogue the part number for the fuel diaphragm changes for EK and later.

Cheers, Ken.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: