FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:19:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: v8 in fc sedan  (Read 4889 times)
fc_guy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2003, 10:08:52 PM »

hi all can anyone help? ive just recently bought a fc sed rust free ive got a 308 turbo pattern but no box then i got given a v8 trimatic to use till i buy a box now ive got a hr disc brake front end what v8 discs and calipers are a bolt on thing ? and who knows what to do to register it in qld? i know ive got to box section the chassis im using a hq tunnel which  ive got but got to weld it in!

what booster should i run? im going to use a 10 bolt diff out of a holden 1 tonner shorten etc

what sort of mods have to be done to the crossmember?

can i use original steering box with the hr steering? or would it be easier to mount a front mounted rack? what rack would i use? what column? and steering components would i need? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 01:44:17 AM »

First step is to call your local Dept of Trans to see if the swap is legal. I am adding my 2 cents, but people like Ed will probably help out better cox they are doing the V8 conversion themselves.

IMHO, you should stick with the 308/Trimatic combo, a properly rebuilt trimatic can handle heaps of horsepower and I believe they are lighter and rob less power than a Turbo box.

Just about any brakes can be fitted to a HR front end, easiest is probably HQ. Hoppers Stoppers are a good place to start.

Booster, you could go remote with a VH40 or the like, or modify the firewall to take a conventional booster. I have modified mine for a LC/J Torana booster.

Diff, depending on the front brakes, you might be better off getting a late model V8 CommoNdore disc unit modifed to suit.

You could probably get the crossmember and gear off the shelf from maybe Dellow or The Castlemaine Rod Shop.

I am not sure why but I think rack & pinion will be a rego requirement with a V8 swap. Kits are available again Dellow, V6Conversions.com and the Rod Shop.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 01:47:48 AM by stinky » Logged

fc_guy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 09:32:03 AM »

hi and thanx, ive been in touch with qld transport they said to talk to an engineer i spoke to several engineers and they  said no and yes but only with  253 one didnt know.   Im handy with a welder and i want to do my own chssis/crossmember so i was going to use a hq-z tunnel nd sub frame weld that into place then join up front crossmember with rear  chassis rails welding the new subrame into it as i go therefore im using a factory holden gearbox mounts etc this would avoid to many problems with transport bout the new tunnel rather than making my own if that makes sense! if anyone has pix of their own conversions it would b gr8 like weldin points for rack steering and wot components to use same with hq brakes wot do i have to do to the stubs to make em fit
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 10:45:23 AM »

Hi.
    A lot of the questions you have can be answered in a booklet that Rod Hadfeild has produced, it contains 16 pages of A4 size. It is titled "Bolt in kits for early Holdens"

The first part of the book shows what to do to convert a HD to a Chev or Holden V8. The second part shows the same thing on an FC ute.

Most pages have 6 to 8 photos of the progress with easy to understand instructions of what is being done.

No doubt components can be sourced from other engineers and manufacturers but this is a good booklet as it shows everything needed from start to finish, front ends, rack and pinion steering,  brakes, chassis kits, floor pans mods, where to run extractors that sort of thing.
Castlemaine Rod Shop  (03) 5472 2853.

I hope that helps with some of your problems. Smiley

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 01:47:15 AM »

The RTA in NSW have a PDF document entitled Light Vehicle Modifications that you can download from their site that explains what the rules are here.  Don't know what the equivalent authority is in Qld (DOT?) but I'd have a search of their website and see what you can turn up.  The comment about the 253 limit sounds like they use the same formula to determine max cubic inches per tare weight as is used in NSW.  I think 283 is still permitted, but 308 is just over.

Sounds like you need to try a few more engineers until you find someone who knows what they're talking about.  Even better, get in contact with the Qld Club - they have a number of members with V8 powered FE/FCs who could help you.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 06:05:53 AM »

Hi,
    You can put up to a 308 into a FE-FC in Queensland. If you are to do all of the welding of the subframe, chassis rails, meeting up with the rear chassis, these are major modifications and you will have to take your car every time you do something, and get it tested and x-rayed to make sure all of the work and welding you have done is safe. It will cost you a fortune, and unless you know what you are doing, you will be waisting your money. You would be better off buying everything from Rod hadfield. It will work out cheaper, you have the paper's for all the modifications, as in Chassis Kit, Crossmember, Austin 1800 Rack and pinion, Collapsable steering column. He has an exchange hr front end with the mounts welded for a holden V8, and the mount's for the Austin 1800 rack and pinion, it was about $410.00 exchange. You will also need 2 Speed wipers, Brake Booster, Seatbelts, External Drivers side mirror, windscreen washer, 9/16 Rear Master Cylinder's, Front windscreen demister. I think that is it. If you buy the kit through Hadfield you just take your car to whoever does Roadworthies and vehicle modifications, hand them the paper work that you get with your kits, and it is checked and passed. Start doing it yourself from scratch, it will cost you a hell of alot more, and after all the work you do, if the xray's show something after they put it in a machine and twist and terrorise your car, you will have to start all over again.
Cheers,
            Spider Cool
fc_guy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 06:47:42 AM »

thanx guys im goin to give hatfields  call if the changeover kit is only that much ill definetly do it tht way ive got sum progress pix in the works ill b posting them soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: